We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations Always Needed?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations Always Needed?

Calling on the brain trust that is the forum experts!

We are headed to Charleston on June 29th for our much anticipated first visit. I noticed in my research on the forums that reseravations are talked about alot. Should I be (or is too late) making reservations now to places like Hank's, FIG, SNOB, Blossom, etc?

We won't be eating "white tablecloth" every night and would like to drop in spontaneously to more casual eateries some nights or will that be possible?

As always thanks for your help!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

If you have a reservation at FIG keep it! Tell your hub they have good bread. Maybe that will help!

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

I would keep the table at FIG and leave my husband at home if he balked- just for the pate and the dessert alone!

While this is a "current" and what I would call -sort of -a farm to table spot, the restaurant looks like an old local drugstore or quick store on the outside (can be missed easily on a drive by), yet modern or current (and small) on the inside with well trained and knowledgeable staff. I did not find it "stuffy" at all....Be aware that seating is close, so you will most likely meet your neighborly diners and will have to restrain yourself form looking at their entrees if they arrive first and you are still pondering the menu indecisively-LOL. Advice: Go to SNOB for lunch (which I LOVE), skip HANKS and go to Amen street or Pearls between 4- 7 and load up on oysters and save some money for dinner at FIG. If you have a car, consider a ride to Mt Pleasant for the Old Village Post House. Still trying to decide whose shrimp and grist I love most- OVP House, Amen St, or SNOB.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

There is not the first thing wrong w/Hanks, so if you want to go, go!!! We go there fairly regularly, but we live here, so we also get to all the others, as well.

Pate at FIG is wonderful, I won't eat it anywhere else (it's a closely guarded secret, as far as the recipe is concerned)...desserts are pretty darned good also.

But, I will say, any of the top notch restaurants have great desserts, it's difficult to decide, dessert where we have dinner or pick up Coconut Cake from Peninsula Grill.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

I wouldn't consider FIG pretentious, but it's not my favorite as the tables are so close together and it can get really noisy and we sometimes feel a bit rushed there. For that kind of food, I prefer SNOB.

Poe's is a great idea for something more casual, and if you decide the wait is too long, there are a couple of great casual options right across the street. It's a neat area worth visiting.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Fuel and Hominy Grill on Rutledge Ave are both casual, and less espensive, and not on the main drags downtown. Fiery Ron's Bbq and Ms. Rose's, both in West Ashley are casual, but with good food and service, and a different atmosphere than downtown, more down home south. Anything else in particular you might like?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions! I kept the reservation at FIG and Hanks. Sadly we are not oyster lovers how I wish it weren't so. Wanted to clear up a point, I said my HUSBAND thinks restaurants like FIG are pretentious. I also said left to his own devices he would eat at Taco Bell every day, that should be all you need to know about my wonderful, but "taste impaired" hubby.

He'll go, he'll complain, my son and I will love it and if need be we'll take him through a drive thru on the way home:)

Thanks again, what would I do without TA's experts? I shudder to think......

27. Re: Reservations Always Needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 20, 2014