We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting SC For the first time

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derry, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Visiting SC For the first time

My family and I are visit SC for the first time and we are planning one day in Charleston. Could you please help me with what to see and maybe a place to eat? We have kids ages 7, 11, 13 all boys, we are interested in seeing anything and everything. There is so much to choose from I am looking for some help. Thanks in advance!!!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

Nancy:

Welcome to the forum! You should read the Top Questions on the right of this page to get you started.

Your best bet for only one day is to take a carriage ride early, then spend the rest of the day walking and looking.

Kids would probably like Fleet Landing, right on the water for lunch.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

If you have not already done so, look to the right of this page for Top Questions about Charleston. It will give you tons of suggestions of things available to see and do. Once you have some ideas of what is available and what might interest you, we can guide you in the details. There are some things that are too time consuming to do in a single day, any chance you could get more time?

When will you be coming?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

I agree that a carriage tour is a great way to go. (I used to drive carriages in college.) The kids will love the ride. I would also suggest taking the kids for a walk around the Battery to look at the cannons and also go up to the aquarium. You can do all that in one day if you start early.

Another option for a meal is TBonz or AW Shucks. Both are on Market Street (which gives you the excuse to shop a little).

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

If you only have one day, I'd avoid the aquarium. This can take up precious time, and while the aquarium is an interesting visit if you have a week in Charleston, it's not worth your time if you just have 1 day.

I agree with Kiawah. Take a carriage ride early and walk the rest of the day (as my grandfather would say: walk the soles off your shoes).

I'd also skip T-Bonz (it's sister restaurant Pearlz is much better) and AW Shucks (chain restaurant, average food). One day in Charleston, I'd choose your meals wisely. Because you're with three youngsters, I'd probably do Fleet Landing for lunch, as it's right on the water and is a tad more interesting than being indoors.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

I'd suggest Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant for the boys... and Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. You may also want to take them on an island exploration, kayaking, fishing, etc. from Isle of Palms.

You'll have a blast!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

I second Patriot's Point with children that age and being boys. Have lunch at Shems Creek. The boys can check out the shrimp boats there. Sit outside you may see a dolphin or two in the creek.

Edited: 10:22 pm, March 18, 2013
Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

You might want to check out Charleston Visitors Center website. It has info on everything mentioned so far plus some. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
276 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

third for Pat's Point in Mt. Pleasant.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

It is not "Shems Creek" it is Shem Creek.. While both Shem Creek and Patriot's Point in Mt. Pleasant are awesome areas, with only a single day, it is not worth the time. If you have longer or on a return visit... the ability to tour the aircraft carrier the Yorktown (which was involved in the Battle of Midway) is a great option, but with such limited time, I just think it will use up too much of your time.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting SC For the first time

I agree, Patriots Point and Shem Creek and all the other outdoor activities are great if you are here for a week or more, with a single day I'd stick to the Historic District and surrounds. Plenty to keep busy in the parks, cemeteries, churches, various shops, etc.