We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway

My wife and I will be in Charleston, SC for a couple of days. We would like to take the Blue Ridge Parkway back home heading north. Does anyone know where I could pick it up after leaving Charleston ? Thank you . Barry Fitzgerald

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

It depends to some degree upon how much of the Parkway you want to drive. Probably the quickest route would be to head straight up I-26 and pick up the Parkway near Asheville. Maybe about 4 hrs +/-. Another option would be to take I-26 to Columbia then I-77 to the Parkway near Mt Airy, NC (the original Mayberry). I've never driven that directly, but maybe 4.5 hrs. The second option would be less Parkway but still plenty of the scenic route.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Concur with PawleysDude. I recently did a stretch of the Parkway between Asheville and Mount Mitchell that was really pretty. From there, you would head back to I-40 via NC 80 around the Lake Tahoma / Marion area.

One thing to remember about the parkway; give yourself plenty of time. Although the distances don't appear to be great, there are numerous curvy roads and the speed limit is 45 mph or lower. As PD said, it's about 4 hours from Charleston to the Parkway entrance just south of Asheville, and then you'll want at least that much time to explore say a 40 mile section, when you factor in stops at overlooks or Mount Mitchell itself (recommended).

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Agree with the first two comments.

Also, I'd check the web for updates on closures. While the parkway has been pretty clear as of late, I've heard from a friend north of Asheville that they may be getting quite a bit of snow soon.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thank you. We are planning to drive the whole length heading north. Thanks again for the directions.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Get off at exit 27 off I-40. Take Highway 23/74 to Cherokee NC. There you can get on the start of the BRP and head north.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Have a good weekend. Barry

7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 16, 2014