We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

Hello,

I am trying to figure out which hotels outside of the historic district offer shuttle transportation.

I am planning a weekend trip in Jan 3rd week and do not drive. Since this is a budget travel, I am looking at accommodation less than $100/night. I could not find anything near the historic district at that rate.

Or maybe anything with a convenient bus connection might work for me.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

I think the Hampton Inn West Ashley offers shuttle service. Suggest you check with them to confirm.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

A buddy of mine stayed there in October because of great AARP rate. He had a car so didn't mention shuttle. He said it was very comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Ashley Inn
Ashley Inn
334 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

Thanks for the suggestion - I checked and seems that they don't have a shuttle.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites/Rivervie from DEc 26 to Dec 29. They have an evening shuttle service to historic Charleston. It might be available during the day. Our rate was $109 a night. With a full breakfast and no parking fee, I though it was a good value for the location. It is just west of downtown about 3 miles away.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

Spring Hill Suites seems a good recommendation. The shuttle is 5pm-midnight, but I will keep this on my shortlist. I am getting a rate similar to yours and it includes taxes :)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

The Charleston Harbor Resort has a shuttle that runs 10 am to 10:15 pm. Not sure they have the rates you are looking for. If you are by chance a member of AAA or AARP, there is an additional discount.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston Harbor Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
2,765 Reviews
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
Level Contributor
130 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

I've stayed at the Charleston Marriott on Lockwood Blvd and even though it is "downtown" it is not in the HD. Can't recall what the price was, but they offered a shuttle for a minimal fee with reasonable hours. (see my review for more details) Still very close to HD, but not what most would consider walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston Marriott
Charleston Marriott
1,189 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

The Holiday Inn Riverview used to have one and may still but I would check directly with any property before booking if this is important to you.

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Holiday Inn Charleston...
1,138 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Iowa
Level Contributor
145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

The Charleston Harbor Resort has a Groupon deal running right now for rooms as low as $90/night including a free breakfast (yummy breakfast buffet) with dates through March. We stayed at the resort this past summer and loved it. They have a free shuttle that will take you downtown daily, and to the Isle of Palms and to Boone Hall Plantation a few different times during the week. There is also a Water Taxi that will take you downtown as well. Within walking distance to the Yorktown/Patriot's Point. We rented a car while we were there, but thought how perfect it would be for someone who did not have a car. I know they are doing a bit of construction right now and there is a $12/night resort fee, but I would still not hesitate recommending this hotel.

http://www.groupon.com/charleston?brd=false

Edited: 7:40 pm, January 13, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Charleston Harbor Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
2,765 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Boone Hall Plantation
Boone Hall Plantation
3,295 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

I missed seeing the groupon deal which looks fantastic :(

Booked the Holiday Inn and my rate is non refundable. Ah well..

10. Re: Staying outside historic district and managing without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 16, 2014