We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Hi All!

I will be coming to Charleston with my husband and my 21 year old daughter from Dec. 22nd through Dec. 27th. We need a hotel with either 2q beds (preferable) or a king with sofa sleeper. Two doubles won't cut it for us.

So far I have found Market Pavilion with 2q beds at $211, and DoubleTree Inn at $170 with king and sofa sleeper. Does anyone know of any other hotels in the Historic District with the accommodations that we are looking for? If not, Which of the above two would you choose? We would like to stay under or around the $200 range.

Two years ago we stayed at Mills House (2 rooms for 4 people). It was a great location, but it's not suitable for our needs this year. We would like a hotel within walking distance to some of the great things that Charleston has to offer!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm sure I'll be asking more within the next week as we're trying to plan what to do and see. Accommodations first though!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Market Pavillion is a topnotch hotel, in a great location, with the wonderful rooftop bar (just go for a single beverage, don't spend the evening there)...that's what I'd choose. Great price for that hotel, as well!!!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Market Pavilion, of course!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Third vote for Market Pavillion, fantastic price.

Coral Springs...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Another for Market Pavilion.

Lori, I just got back from staying at Market Pavilion for a week Thanksgiving 2012, this is my second time there .

I also answered your message, and sent you back a reply.

Steve

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

Try Hotwire first before you pay the ridiculous asking price for some of these hotels. Some of the top notch places like Harbourview Inn could be had last week for $100 nightly when their own website was charing $250+

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

^ Respectfully disagree with the above. MP at $211 is worth it. Even when using all those nifty sites that get around Hotwire's "we don't tell you where you're staying" gig, you can't guarantee you'll even get the MP.

Also, can't imagine MP ever (!) being ~$100/night. I'd be shocked. For that matter, I can't imagine Harbourview Inn being that inexpensive either.

My only advice for the MP: try to figure out where your room will be. Some of the lower floors, and the rooms facing the street, can get quite loud.

Still think it's one of the best hotels in Charleston. Top 3 pick for me, at least.

Edited: 4:47 pm, November 29, 2012
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

There are rooms at the Harborview that have views of the alley. I'd guess those would be the cheap ones.

I would also pick MP. Anything $200 over Christmas is a deal.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

FYI - I've never booked a room via Hotwire and NOT known what I was getting before I booked. If it can't be known then I don't book it.

I've also discovered that when reviewing a hotel...such as the BW King Charles Inn, they really don't like it when you mention the price at which you booked via these discount websites. BW King Charles Inn said they would always give you the best price if you just call them. Next time in Charleston I'll definitely remember that when HW offers a $95 room rate and the BW King Charles wants $200 nightly. Yes, I'm definitely going to call next time just to see if they will actually honor that promise ;-)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

So sorry for the delayed reply.

Thank you so much for all of your input! I booked the MP, ad after reading all of your reviews, I can't wait to get there!

I am going to have questions regarding the things we'd like to do, and itineraries, ( I am NOT good with Google maps). We will be there from Saturday dinner time through Thursday morning, Christmas week.

I'll gather up a list and hopefully I can get some suggestions on setting up an itinerary.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is much appreciated!

10. Re: Market Pavilion, DoubleTree Inn, or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, December 17, 2013