We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Toronto

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Toronto

We're planning a road trip from Waterloo, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale beginning December 15, with a short diversion to Charleston, SC. Any suggestions on route, best places to stay, and travel with pets? Thanks all.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Toronto

My $.02:

Take 95 South to 26 (in S. Carolina). 26 brings you all the way into Charleston. When you're done with Charleston, take 17 south one of two ways:

1) 17 all the way to Jacksonville, then once in Jacksonville, hope on A1A. 17 parallels 95 and will be a more "country" style drive to Jax. Then, A1A is a gorgeous "ocean drive" and will take you the whole way to Ft. Lauderdale. It's much prettier and much more interesting then 95.

2) Take 17 to 95 South, and take 95 South all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. This is the quickest/easiest route, but also the most boring.

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Toronto

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Toronto

Let me know if you need any advice for your post-Charleston drive through Georgia and Florida. I've done that drive (to Miami) at least 2 dozen times. Either PM me or comment on the Jacksonville forum and I'll reply.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Toronto

You might want to pick up 81 in PA, then 64 across to 95 so you miss the DC traffic nightmare, unless you want to spend time there. I love DC but that traffic is a mess.

Edited: 8:01 pm, October 26, 2012
sc
Level Contributor
741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Toronto

Oh that is a trip that is better y'all than me!!

I am from London Ontario and have been here since '95, made that trip many times with dogs and 4 boys in tow!

Get ready to fall in love with Charleston!!

There are many places downtown where it is most interesting to stay that will take you and your pooch- even more than one, however it is what they will charge that cuts the deal.

My advice is to call the venue even when it is listed as 'pet friendly' as rules, owners change... find out if and what they charge, alot of times it all depends on the size of said pooch!. I believe Charleston Place chgs $75...you can bring as many as you want... but each one is $75!!

And it is a busy holiday season here with lots to do, so don't be disappointed make your resevations in advance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Toronto

I hear ya. I've driven in and around DC and every time say "never again". Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Re: Road trip from Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 05, 2013