We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

My husband's 30 year Citadel class reunion is scheduled for November 10-12, 2005....I'm looking for a better hotel than the one the reunion committee has chosen: the former Sheraton near the Ashley River, now named something else which escapes me at this time. In the past we've been disappointed in reunion hotels and regret having stayed at them: former Howard Johnson, the Francis Marion in its old life, etc. I would love to book a hotel in the historic district as I will be on my own some of the reunion weekend and plan to do a lot of walking & shopping while my husband is with his classmates. Is the Lodge Alley Inn a good choice? We used to stay at the Lodge Alley years ago. Any input is appreciated. Any places we should avoid?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

I think the Lodge Alley Inn would be great. I will list a few other places, the price ranges are pretty wide. Downtown is fairly expensive these days, altho Nov. should not be too bad.

Ansonborough Inn ansoboroughinn.com

Best Western - King Charles Inn (on Meeting St.)

Market Pavillion Hotel marketpavillion.com

very pricey, but very nice. located on

corner of E. Bay and Market

Embassy Suites - Historic Charleston

Planters Inn corner of Meeting & Market

Good luck.

charleston, south...
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

I agree with the downtown recommendations. I had family stay at the Ansonborough Inn and they really liked the staff. The French quarter inn has received good reviews and is in a nice location.

charleston, south...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

Congrats on the reunion! The Citadel is awesome. The Lodge Alley in is nice (don't forget that they are a time-share facility). I would suggest...

*King Charles Best Western as well (really nice hotel, FREE PARKING, near Market Street)

*Holiday Inn Historic (new, clean, beautiful)

*Mills House Hotel (beautiful,historic, really good for large groups, in the middle for everything)

*Other suggestions would include historic inns: Indigo Inn, Meeting Street Inn, Fulton Lane, Kings Courtyard, and Victoria House (these have great prices, locations, and really nice staff)

*I would avoid riverview hotels because many of them are under renovation. They also are not in walking distance to historic Charleston...

*Good Luck and enjoy Charleston!

Macomb, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

We just spent 4 wonderful days in the historic district at the French Quarter Inn. I would highly recommend this place, not only because of the great service but it is very convenient to all the shopping, restaurants and tours. We walked everywhere and did not need a car the entire trip. Hope you have a great trip!

Atlanta
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

We just stayed at the Lodge Alley Inn last month and it is a lovely hotel but there are other postings about how it is overrun with time share salespeople and they are all true. The staff was polite but the salespeople were everywhere and they were constantly giving tours. However, the rooms were clean and nicely furnished. It is not a bad choice and it is in a great location.

Fort Wayne, IN
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel suggestions/November 2006

I WOULD NOT stay at the Ansonborough Inn.

TOO noisy, over priced, over rated, poor Customer Service, no help with luggage and you pay for your parking.

The management staff were rude an un-approachable.

Proceed with caution..