We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March weather

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
7 posts
Save Topic
March weather

What kind of weather can we expect in March?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March weather

We have lived here for 2 years and both March months have been beach weather 75-80 with a cold start to the mornings. You will LOVE Charleston !!!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March weather

I have only lived in Charleston for 2 years but both Marchs' that we have been here were beach weather by mid March. During the day it is 75-80 with a colder start to the day.

You will LOVE it here !!! Happy vacation!!!

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March weather

Just what we wanted to hear. Thanks. Another question---do you know anything about the Best Western King Charles Hotel? It's in the Travel Book & on-line @ every hotel site. We like Fairfields & note there's one in N. Carleston. Would that be inconvenient location? We're a hearty senior couple but wish to make visit as easy as possible and yet not miss anything. Also wish to enjoy the beaches and gardens if they're starting to flower.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March weather

March 13 - Apr 16, 2005 58th Annual Festival of Houses and Gardens 58th Annual Festival of Houses and Gardens Explore the interiors and gardens of some of the finest homes in America. Phone: 843-723-1623 58th Annual Festival of Houses & Gardens website

North Charleston is close to our plantations but not the historic section of Charleston nor the beaches.

I would recommend staying in Mt. PLeasant which is just across the bridge from Charleston and less than 10 minutes to beaches of Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms.

Staying in the historic section is pretty expensive.

The taxi is about $25 from the airport to Mt. Pleasant or if you rent a car it easy to drive here.

The hotels below can be found in MT. PLEASANT

Best Western Patriot's Point

259 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Comfort Inn Mt. Pleasant

310 Highway 17 N

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Days Inn Patriots Point

261 Johnnie Dodds Blvd

Mt. Pleasant 29464

Extended StayAmerica Mt. Pleasant

304 Wingo Way

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant

255 Johnnie Dodds Blvd

Mt. Pleasant 29464

Holiday Inn Mt. Pleasant

250 Johnnie Dodds Blvd

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

MainStay Suites

310 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Masters Inn Mt. Pleasant

300 Wingo Way

Mount Pleasant, SC

843-884-2814

Microtel Inns & Suites

259 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

843-971-7070

Quality Inn & Suites

Patriot's Point

196 Patriot's Point

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Red Roof Inn Mt. Pleasant

301 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

843-884-1411

Residence Inn Mt. Pleasant

1116 Isle of Palms Connector

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Shem Creek Inn

1401 Shrimp Boat Lane

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

______________________________________________--

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/chsrv…

THE ABOVE WEBSITE IS FOR A HOLIDAY INN ACROSS THE BRIDGE FROM CHARLESTON ON THE SOUTHERN SIDE.

Lucy

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: March weather

Thanks for suggestions. I enjoy gardening and would love to see the houses. Is it hard to find lodging during the Festival? Is it a local thing or would we find the city terribly crowded?

south carolina
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March weather

March is a great time of year to visit Charleston. Usually the weather is in the 70s, at least by the afternoon. Sometimes mornings are a little nippy (to us, but probably not to someone from Michigan! :) ) but it warms up a lot during the day. The garden festival is not just a local thing so expect things to be a little crowded downtown- but you are hitting it before the main tourist season so it won't be too bad. You'll love it! :)

You mention that you like gardening-- if so, aside from the downtown garden tours you should be sure to take in one of the plantations as the azaleas may be in bloom depending on what the weather's been like and they are really beautiful. Try Cypress Gardens, Middleton Place or Magnolia.

You also mention that you are a hearty senior (as is my mother, who still lives there). One thing that she's noted before to people is to be careful and bring good comfortable walking shoes-- you'll walk just about everywhere downtown and the sidewalks, of course, are old so they are uneven-- just wear comfy shoes and watch your step!

I heartily second the very kind poster who recommended that you stay in Mount Pleasant over Charleston and was kind enough to give you all of those hotel names. It would be a much more convenient location for you with your interests in downtown and the beaches, and the Old Village in Mount Pleasant itself is very charming with lovely homes with beautiful gardens. Boone Hall Plantation is in Mount Pleasant, as well, and there are lots of great restaurants, shopping, the Yorktown (if you want a change of pace from gardening) etc.

Good luck and have a wonderful visit, and enjoy some southern hospitality! I grew up there and miss it every day! I hope you have a great stay!

Charleston, SC
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: March weather

I also grew up in Charleston and would agree March is one of the best months to come. The weather should be in the upper 70s. I would agree with staying in Mount Pleasant, or maybe even an area called West of the Ashley, they are both very close to downtown Charleston. Staying in the historic district can be expensive, but if you would like to pay for it, it is well worth it and most of the hotels have parking which is a blessing, let me tell you. West Ashley, however, is a little closer to the gardens and plantations if you are interested in that.

Iowa
Level Contributor
140 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March weather

I agree, Charleston is a great place to be in March! If you love gardens, don't miss Middleton Place, it has extensive gardens, very beautiful. It is on the Ashley River Rd. I also agree about staying in Mt. Pleasant, we have stayed there many times. It is much nicer than North Charleston & an easy ( & fun) drive across the long bridge. We like the Sleep Inn in Mt. Pleasant, it is fairly new & very affordable.

Enjoy!!

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: March weather

Many thanks to one and all for the very kind and helpful suggestions. (Keep them coming) You have us convinced to stay in Mt. Pleasant. Thanks to www and forums such as this one, we've been able to plan some great trips on our own. Have not had a bad experience yet. Plan to visit Savannah on this trip too. Shouldn't we plan to spend at least one night there to see it properly?

south carolina
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March weather

i would say definitely, you'd need more than one night to see Savannah properly-- although you could do it in one day if you run short of time. I might be just the tiniest bit prejudiced toward Charleston :) but I'd say spend more of your time in Charleston than Savannah if you have to choose!

Have a great time!