We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Sumter and lunch?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Sumter and lunch?

I am travelling with two teenage boys (17 and 16).. We are in Savannah on vacation and thought of taking the drive to Fort Sumter.. Taking the tour -- Would it be worth the drive? Or is this just another Fort.. Please don't take it the wrong way.. I would love it, but would the kids enjoy it or should I wait until it is a adult trip?? There is plenty to see and do in Savannah for sure :)

What about lunch suggestions?

I will have a couple of ladies in their 70's which will want to shop during the Fort Tour. Are there any great shopping areas near the Fort so I could drop them off?

Lastly, how long does the Fort Tour take?

Sorry for so many questions!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

added bonus for Ft Sumter is the boat ride to get there. whole thing takes about 2 hours.

Plenty of incredible places for lunch downtown from sandwich shops to white linen.

You could drop your shoppers on on King St. or in the Market area depending on how much walking they want to do. THey'll find everything from gift stores to clothing, jewelry, and antiques. There is also Citadel Mall, which would be on the way from Savannah if they want to stay in air conditioning... it is just your basic mall, though.

Charleston
Level Contributor
469 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

Yes, it's just another fort and barely a fort, since all that is left is rubble. The boat ride over is the best thing about it. You get about 1 hour on the fort itself.

Unless one of your boys is a history buff who just has to see Fort Sumter, I wouldn't make the trip. Other than the whole first shot thing, Fort Pulaski is the better fort to visit if you want to see a representation (not just rubble) of the forts built during the time period.

Edited to add: I'm a big US Civil War buff. I've visited forts and Civil War sites all over the US and even in the UK. Do not make the trip just for the Fort.

Edited: 9:29 am, June 05, 2011
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,193 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

Not sure if you are realizing that you can't drive to Ft. Sumter, you have to take a boat.

You can drop the elders in your group off, provided that you all understand that once you do drop them off, there is no picking them up early or anything.

I'd suggest that you scope out the area a bit w/them before leaving them, pointing out places where there are AC and restrooms (more than likely a restaurant where they can have a glass of sweet tea, as well). King St. would be good, make sure they have their walking shoes on. Wandering through Charleston Place would be a good idea.

Being dropped off for a "couple of hours" can turn into a very long time if you become tired or unwell.

Maybe consider a harbor tour, instead of the fort tour and take the ladies w/you, then visit the HD, shop and have lunch, this way keeping the group together and everyone will be happy.

Edited: 9:34 am, June 05, 2011
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

So, are you driving up from Savannah just for the day? Did you consider Ft. Pulaski? It's closer to you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

Just got back from there. I would not drive to Charleston just to see the fort unless you want to say you stood on it's hallowed grounds. The Market Place is pretty much tourist stuff for about 4 covered blocks no place to sit. and Fleet Landing is close by for lunch good for kids and a view.

Further south of Savanna, Amilia Island/Fernadina Beach is a state park with a Fort Clinch which is pretty cool and very interesting. There is also a state beach there. But an hour at Ft. Clinch and you have seen and heard it all.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,170 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

Are your boys interested in American history and in military history? If so, there is lots to see in Charleston, including Fort Sumter. Don't drive to Charleston just to visit Fort Sumter, but do bring your guys here on another vacation.

7. Re: Fort Sumter and lunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 04, 2012