We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

I am flying into charleston airport and staying at a relatives beach house...what transportation can I take from the airport? besides a rental car because it basically won't get used...

thanks!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

You'll have to hire a car which is not cheap. You can try Jason:

http://www.ridecompass.com/

If I were you I'd just rent a cheap car and drive. Edisto is 60+ miles from the airport

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

You have 3 choices:

1. Relatives pick you up. They'll be out their time but there is a great cellphone waiting lot at CHS;

2. Hire a car/limo service. We LOVE Jason and Compass Transportation. It costs us around $100 for a OW to Seabrook Island. Well worth it when our guest arrive late at night;

3. Rent a car. I know, I know it won't get used:-) We've been in similar situations. If you're visiting for a week or less, renting a small car is probably the most convenient and economical route.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

I would rent a car. It is a beautiful drive after you leave Hwy. 17 and is an easy drive.

ohio
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

How do I return the car though ? I won't need it when I'm there.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

You return the car to the airport on your departure.

Unless you are staying on Edisto for more than one week, you may find that it is less expensive to rent the car for the entire period than to hire a car and driver to take you from and to the airport. In addition to the expense of taking a taxi to and from Edisto, you might find it stressful to arrange for pick up on your return trip.

Edisto is "out in the country". There is no regular car service, shuttle bus, or other accessible public transport traveling between Edisto Island and the Charleston airport.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

Unless you're planning on cooking every night and not going anywhere, I'd rent a car.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

Edisto is very remote and spread out. You may find the need for a car while you are there as well as a means of transportation when you leave Edisto.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

Trust us; you may end up happy you rented the car. It is unlikely that anything is within walking distance of the beach house (besides the beach!)

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

Certainly you will need some provisions for your visit, what about a possible emergency??? Edisto, as the others have explained, is very far from just about everything, you'll be wise to have a car.

If there is another car where you are staying, yes, having the relatives pick you up at the airport is the best advice you are going to get. It will be about an hour-hour and a half drive each way.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,985 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what transportation do I take from airport to edisto island

I agree. You'll need a car. You'll want to stop on the way onto the island at King's and you'll need trunk space for all the good stuff.