We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Does anyone have firsthand experience with priceline.com and naming your own price? If I understand this correctly, you name your price and then get a hotel THEY choose?

If you've had experience, how close to your specs are they when choosing? i.e. - if I choose Downtown CHS (which their detail map shows approx. between Rutledge and the Port and it looks like Radcliffe to just below Trade St.) and name my price are they actually going keep me within this area if I specify? Also, if I name my price and don't like the hotel they found, do I have a last chance to opt out before actually purchasing or am I stuck with one they find? How far in advance OR on how close to trip time can one hope to get great 'name your own price' deals? Is there a better chance doing in advance, or closer? (I was toying around with the first week of May).

Would love to get feedback from those who have used this feature. This seems like a great way to get a great deal which could be well below other options. Then again, it seems too good to be true.

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

I have used Priceline once and Hotwire once. Not being much of a risk taker by nature, I relied heavily on a website, betterbidding.com, to learn as much as I could about how these options work. I recommend you spend some time on that site. There is a wealth of information there. In exchange for all that help, they ask that you use their links to Priceline (and Hotwire) when you are ready to start searching.

The site also has lists of hotels that participate, which can help you get an idea of the hotels you could end up with, if you use these services.

Good Luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

With Priceline and Hotwire, once you get the hotel name you are locked in. No cancellations. There's a another site Lastminutetravel.com that is similar, but they show photos of the hotel. Often it is very obvious what hotel it is. Also, you can use tricks like, Google the number of rooms the hotel has and the city, for example, 91 room hotel, Charleston, SC).

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Thanks for that lastminutetravel link. I found a Sheraton Resort for $55 per night. Amazing rate.

Has anyone ever had problems with the hotel accepting these reservations? I mean arriving to the hotel and there is no room for you?

Never used these services before, but the same night at the same Sheraton - on the Sheraton website is $159 (lowest rate available). Seems to good to be true.

Edited: 11:14 am, February 04, 2011
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

I have used them and got some good deals. You can usually find out which hotel you are bidding on by checking out the city in www.betterbidding.com

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Thanks for your replies and the additional links. Definitely going to spend some time checking them out as suggested. Unfortunately, not today as I have to get moving and get to work.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

I "always" use Hotwire and Priceline. I have always been happy with the deals, locations, etc. Better Bidding is indeed a great resource and there are some tricks that help you narrow things down. However, I can't stress enough that even if you know tricks and use the betterbidding advice, there is always a chance you won't get the hotel you were thinking you'd get. If that's ok with you then go for it - you can easily save 60-70 percent (or more!) I saved about $100 per night on a hotel stay I recently had in Atlanta. One negative is you can't get the hotel rewards points - but the deal is so amazing, usually, who cares.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Just to bump up HMin's original post and trying to get a response about timing. If intending to make a bid on Priceline, how far out from your trip dates would you place a bid? Is this a last minute thing or a future planning thing?

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Also, is the 60 to 70% savings referring to the hotel's rack room rates? I am trying to figure out what bid price to put in. When I go to the various MB hotel websites, I am getting nightly rates of between $59 and $95 per night. These rates look very good to me. Is it likely I can beat them by bidding on priceline or hotwire??

Sorry if the question is silly. I've never used the bidding sites before.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

Is the price range you mention for the same "area" and "star rating"??? What I think is best about the bidding sites is that you can stay in a "pamper" hotel for a "roadside motel" price. If you get a range, check the amenities (and, if available, check the rating given by customers who actually stayed there - not just the amenities rating as they get a "check" if they have them but there is no scale for how nice they are). ie - they can have a pool, that puts them in a higher star rating, but if the pool is small, gross, or outdated, that is only reflected in what customers say about the hotel.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Experience with Priceline 'Name your own Price'?

The price range I mentioned is indeed for the same star rating type of hotel. I realize these hotels just want to book the rooms and get some sort of money for them, rather than leaving them empty, but some of the rates I'm seeing are amazingly good (on lastminutetravel and on priceline).

I did check the amenities and a couple of the photos for certain hotels make it obvious which hotel it is - not all of them of course but a little research can narrow it down to a few.

I'm just not sure what price to put a bid in for.