We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

Roslyn, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

Thanks to Trip Advisor our group of 22 will not be staying at the King Charles Inn! After reading the poor reviews, I called the hotel and said we decided not to stay there, the young woman replied, "Well you don't spend too much time in your room anyway".

We are now looking at the Holiday Inn (Historic District.

I am interested in taking our group to the best possible places for serious gardeners.

A well known garden writer and guide from the Charleston Horticultural Society will be taking us on a private tour of 8-10 gardens one day.

We also plan to visit White Point Gardens, Cypress Gardens and Magnolia Plantation. I am not sure about Middleton yet.

Can anyone suggest a restaurant for lunch the day we arrive? Is Josephs's ok?

Thanks in advance!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

I work across the street from Joseph's and it's good but not a place I immediately think to recommend to visitors. One of my favorite places for lunch (in fact I eat there usually 2 times a week) is Poogan's Porch on Queen Street (just off Meeting St). They have a great Fried Chicken Salad with a honey jalapeno dressing...yum yum yum. Their Turkey and Brie sandwich is another favorite...especially on the days when they have sweet potato fries. You will need a car to get from the HI to Poogan's (and Joseph's if you do decide to go there) as it is probably a mile from your hotel...of course if y'all are walkers, it is probably nothing for you.

If your group likes an eclectic menu, Sermet's Corner on King St is very tasty. It's at 276 King Street. From your hotel, you'd walk down to Wentworth St and take a right and go down to King and it's on the corner of King and Wentworth.

On the corner of Meeting and Wentworth is Jestine's Kitchen. Another popular spot but it can be hit or miss at times with the food and service. My favorite days to eat there are Tuesdays when the blue plate special is Sweet Chicken and Lima Beans (how sad that I know the daily specials!!). Their Coca Cola Chocolate Cake is unbelievable!! They are closed on Mondays.

Hope that gives you a few ideas. March will be a great time to be in Charleston especially for you gardeners! Do try to got to Middleton as the White Bridge is beautiful when all the flowers are in bloom...I'd skip the house tour though but if you are there for lunch, their restuarant has a pre-fix menu for $13.95 that is quite tasty. Take a look at my trip report for more info on Middleton.

Enjoy your visit!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

Oh, meant to mention that Cypress Gardens are great but a good drive from downtown...it is about 30 miles from dowtown and could take up to an hour...not trying to discourage you as I think it is a great place to visit...just want to make sure you are aware of the drive time.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

I would not pass up Middleton if I were you. It is excellent.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

Middleton and Magnolia are close to each other. If you go to one, go to the other. You can save a little time by skipping the house tours. See one in the morning, have lunch and then see the other. If your time is limited, skip Cypress Gardens. It's been years since I have been there and maybe it has changed, but in my opinion it is not in the same category as the other two. It's more woodsy and swampy and natural setting with less gardening.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horticultural Group going to Charleston in mid March

This is a fabulous time of year in Charleston...well, a lot of times of the year are. This is the Festival of Houses and Gardens month. Have you checked out

historiccharleston.org/news_events/festival.…

You will love leaving the end of winter drear in NY and seeing a whole new colorful world in Charleston. (I'm originally from NY so that's an experienced comment, not an insult.) Even coming from the DC area we loved driving into Charleston with more humidity, higher temps, more color all around long before our things started to bloom. What a great trip it will be. Enjoy!