We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
156 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

Does anyone know if this is painfully long or a nice trip??

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

If you take the day train, and upgrade to business class, the trip can be very pleasant. It's a good way to see the country side. You arrive in Charleston around 7:15 PM, in time for dinner.

The small Charleston train station is not located in the center city. You will need to take a cab downtown.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

I really enjoyed this trip! I took it from JFK (which meant I had to take the subway from JFK to Manhattan first) and after sitting in the most uncomfortable airplane seat on the planet, found the regular (non-upgraded) train seats to be LUXURIOUS (comparatively speaking!) There was much room side-to-side, front to back - and the seat has a section that slides to support your legs. There was plenty of room to keep luggage nearby if you have a piece or two.

I would recommend picking up a small picnic lunch and drinks before you board - the train has a dining car but the choices are limited and more expensive than they need to be.

Plenty of room for setting up a laptop, and if you're traveling with a group, some of the seats face each other.

The ride itself is a little boring but as it was my first such ride I was glued to the window (which by the way was TOO HOT! It was May and the heat was on but with the sunlight streaming in the windows the heat was unnecessary. I suggest wearing layers and taking a blanket/pillow if you can (most people do, and you will notice that a good number of people on the train are "regulars").

Enjoy! It certainly is comfortable, albeit long. We got in early but I've heard that many times the train is delayed.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

Bring a long novel or your knitting! Remember trains here are not like the ones in Europe. I have taken that ride many times. The train splits up in Rocky Mount NC so you'll sit there for a while.

The upside is you get to relax and look at the beautiful countryside.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

I've not taken the PHL to Charleston route, but in general, I don't mind Amtrak. Just remember that Amtrak does not own most of the rails it travels on, so it's not uncommon for Amtrak trains to be really, really late, waiting for freight trains to pass.

As long as you are patient and don't mind delays, Amtrak isn't a bad way to travel. At least the seats are nicer than an airplane!

5. Re: Amtrak train from Philadelphia to Charleston South Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 14, 2009