We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

My husband and I stayed 5 nights (10/12-16/04). I'd highly recommend taking the horse carriage ride and visiting the aquarium. Be sure to go to the Visitors Center when you first come into town. There is information plus lots of coupons available - free appetizers, desserts, etc. at many of the popular restaurants. You can also get coupons for the carriage rides, too. You can not pick the route the ride goes on - it's chosen by lottery just before you depart - so one company doesn't have any better routes than others. Go earlier in the day when it's not as busy. As far as the aquarium, I was really surprised how nice this place is. Anyone would enjoy this place! Ghost tour was okay but not as great as I expected. Also took walking architectural tour -good way to learn history. Get your walking shoes on....it's a great way to get exercise and see the town. Yes, we felt safe walking in the downtown (historic) area at night, too.

Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Will be visiting in April and will definately go to the Visitors Center. Will book a carriage tour for sure. Did you see any of the Plantation homes and if so, which ones and what did you think of them?

Many thanks.

Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Will be visiting in April and will definately go to the Visitors Center. Will book a carriage tour for sure. Did you see any of the Plantation homes and if so, which ones and what did you think of them?

Many thanks.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Just got back. It is worth going into the restored houses that the historical society runs - one near the visitor center and the other near the battery. Both interesting and a good contrast. Also recomend the walking tour with the Tea Lady, great overview of the city in two hours and she's been doing for about 30 years, plus is still continuing to read to learn more! Very passionate about her city.

Enjoy

Jacksonville ,fl
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

I will be visiting next weekend. Where did you find the architectural tour? Thank you, mary

Huntersville, NC
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

My wife and I just took a tour with Bulldog Tours on Market Street. They ROCK!! THey offer several history and ghost walking tours.

I just looked at their site, www.bulldogtours.com - some cool stuff.

Also, if you go to Charleston, I recommend:

* eat at Boathouse

* visit a plantation (Drayton Hall)

* go to Folly Beach

* stroll Church Street at night

* shop at the City Market

Happy Travels,

Jack Austin

Hunstersville, NC

Mentioned in this post
Bulldog Tours
Bulldog Tours
3,403 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Drayton Hall
Drayton Hall
1,741 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Church Street Inn
Church Street Inn
425 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Austin
Austin
Texas
Huntersville, NC
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

My wife and I just took a tour with Bulldog Tours on Market Street. They ROCK!! THey offer several history and ghost walking tours. We opted for the Charleston Ghost & Dungeon Tour as well as The Dark Side of Charleston Walking Tour.

I just looked at their site, www.bulldogtours.com - some cool stuff.

Also, if you go to Charleston, I recommend:

* eat at Boathouse

* visit a plantation (Drayton Hall)

* go to Folly Beach

* stroll Church Street at night

* shop at the City Market

Happy Travels,

Jack Austin

Huntersville, NC

Mentioned in this post
Bulldog Tours
Bulldog Tours
3,403 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Drayton Hall
Drayton Hall
1,741 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Church Street Inn
Church Street Inn
425 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Austin
Austin
Texas
Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Do you recall the name of the Architectural Touring company?

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Nobody mentioned touring the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. That was incredible to me. Also, the boat tour to Fort Sumter is okay. They don't allow enough time, but the ride over is great. Not to mention, that's QUITE the significant place in American history.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Sumter Tours
Fort Sumter Tours
242 Reviews
Charleston, SC
ontario
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Charleston Activities.

Hello

We are heading to South Carolina and really want to go on a ghost tour. What one did you go on as I would like to stay away from it if you did not think it was that great. Do you recommend any particualr ghost tour?

thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States