We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two choices please advise

Sheffield, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Two choices please advise

Hello,

We will be in Charleston, SC for two full days and two nights in May.

Our plan is to arrive via Amtrak in the early evening, hire vehicle and drive to Middleton Place (two nights accommodation at Middleton Place). Day 1 relax, enjoy Middleton Place, and perhaps drive to Magnolia Gardens. Second night also at Middleton Place. Next day drive into Charleston and look around, driving if necessary to other places of interest. Train out late evening.

Other possibility:

Stay at Holiday Inn in historic district for two nights. No car hire, use cab to travel to and from station. Take half day tour to Middleton Place with bus Tour Company.

Query: Could you please advise what plan would you choose? Also is the drive from car pick up at International Airport to Middleton Place mid evening a safe, straight forward option?

We appreciate it would be wonderful to stay in Charleston longer but this the time we have available.

Thank you,

Raewyn & Rob

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,594 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Philadelphia, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Two choices please advise

It really depends on your age, preference, the reason for your vacation and what you'll be doing before and after. I see you're from a small town in WA. You might enjoy the plantations, personally, i'd be bored silly. Downtown Charleston is beautiful with great restaurants, pubs, parks, galleries and museums. As far as american cities go it's truly a one of a kind gem.

If I were you i'd stay downtown and take the tour of the plantation rather than the other way around.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Sheffield, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two choices please advise

Thanks NewboldPhily, your input is much appreciated. Have to say we actually live a bit outside the tiny town in Western Australia! However cope with cities, fun and galleries okay.

Thanks again, Raewyn

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two choices please advise

I second that. Stay downtown, and tour Middleton Place. Or tour forts/homes and nix Middleton Place since your stay is so short. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,594 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
706 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two choices please advise

I agree with the other posters, Rae.

Middleton is a lovely place, but once you've seen it, you've seen it. After that there isn't much nearby to see/visit. I'd definitely stay downtown and enjoy the wonderful city of Charleston.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two choices please advise

I agree with the posters above--planning a short Charleston trip myself soon (my 4th) and will stay downtown--taking friends with us who have never been. Take a buggy ride (take it before 4PM for best experience) for an interesting up-close look at the historic area, walk along the Battery, see Rainbow Row, go to the market, just enjoy all the historic homes, churches, and restaurants. There is also a hop-on hop-off bus that runs the historic area to get you to the furthest areas, although all of it is walkable, depending on your preference. Hope you enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Rainbow Row
Rainbow Row
1,071 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
364 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two choices please advise

I also agree to stay in town, there is so much more to do! The plantations are more out of town away from everything, and with such lil time you wanna be in the center of it all. Have fun!

oswego
Level Contributor
42 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two choices please advise

I would definitely stay in town unless you are looking for quiet, romantic privacy. I agree with the others that once you have seen Middleton, you're done. It is not convenient to other places for a stroll or anything and I would be bored silly after one night.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two choices please advise

Agree with others ... definitely stay in the historic downtown area, and do a visit to either Magnolia Plantation or Middleton Place (I prefer Magnolia ... for a special meal, eat at Magnolia's restaurant downtown .... great!)

Mentioned in this post
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,594 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Sheffield, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two choices please advise

Thank you all for your great advice. Charleston it is for our stay in SC. We are also looking forward to visiting Middleton Place too on a bus tour. It is sometimes difficult making a decision on certain destinations and we are planning a six week vacation to the USA so a lot of places to research.

TripAdvisor and your help make our planning much easier.

Raewyn & Rob

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,594 Reviews
Charleston, SC
United States
United States
North America
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two choices please advise

I love Middleton Place but would stay downtown and just go out there during the day. There are so many wonderful things to see downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Middleton Place
Middleton Place
3,594 Reviews
Charleston, SC