We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

cleveland, oh
7 posts
Save Topic
Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

Dear Charlestonian Travelers...About ten years ago, I took a short vacation in Charleston, and will be going back again next week. During a walk to the City Market, I passed an old graveyard behind a church. The graveyard was rather small, and had some tombstones leaning against a garden wall. There was a memorial that included the the poem, “Ode to the Confederate Dead at Magnolia Cemetery" by Henry Timrod. At that time, I did not know the poet or the poem, and I was incredibly moved by it. I am traveling with my loved one this time, and I'd like to give him the same experience - but I don't remember the name of the church. I'm pretty sure it was on Church Street. If anyone knows the name of this church, I would be most grateful. What a tremendous poem. I have a lifetime impression from that day. I will never forget that poem. Thanks for your help. Cindy

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
790 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

Hmmm...I have thought about this for over a day now, and can't place it for sure. There are a few churches on Church St. St. Phillips Episcopal is quite large and has a graveyard that wraps around the church, as well as one across the street...I have never noticed what you speak of in there. The other church that comes to mind is the French Hugenot Church on the corner of Church St. and Queen St. It is directly across the street from the Dock Street Theater and is much smaller. If you keep going toward Broad St. you will ge to St. Michaels and it could be there as well. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

...I've thought about it, too. There is also the Circular Congregational Church on Meeting that backs up to some of the other cemetaries and the French Huguenot Church on Church Street.

What a great find. I would love to see it myself.

cleveland, oh
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

Thanks for your thoughts. I've looked at several pictures of all of these churches, and I think it might be St. Philip. But, I'm not sure. I will be checking it out though! I have not been able to find any listings or information about the graveyards - photos would have been helpful as I can see it clear in my mind, just not the church! If I find it, I will post. Thanks. Cindy

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

I called the Daughters of the Confederacy Museum and they did not know, either. Sung on the occasion of decorating the graves of the Confederate dead at Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, S. C., 1867. John Dylan is said to have borrowed a few lines. It reads:

SLEEP sweetly in your humble graves,

Sleep, martyrs of a fallen cause;

Though yet no marble column craves

The pilgrim here to pause.

In seeds of laurel in the earth

The blossom of your fame is blown,

And somewhere, waiting for its birth,

The shaft is in the stone!

Meanwhile, behalf the tardy years

Which keep in trust your storied tombs,

Behold! your sisters bring their tears,

And these memorial blooms.

Small tributes! but your shades will smile

More proudly on these wreaths to-day,

Than when some cannon-moulded pile

Shall overlook this bay.

Stoop, angels, hither from the skies!

There is no holier spot of ground

Than where defeated valor lies,

By mourning beauty crowned!

5. Re: Gravestone, Church Street, Timrod's Ode ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 13, 2009