We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
65 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

It was our 1st trip to Charleston-we stopped at the "welcome center" on Meeting St as we entered town. The man we spoke with was very helpful and knowledgeable about Charleston-things we wanted to do and see. It wasn't until the next day that we realized that we had not been to the offical Charleston Vistors Center, but to the place next door the "Welcome Center" which looked like it could have been the offical Center-we had been to the Fiestiva Resorts Welcome Center. Although the man was very helpful and friendly, he roped us into attending a 90 minute time share talk in return we would get about $150 worth of vouchers to be used at the places that we wanted to visit in Charleston. We figured all this out when we went to the 90 min. talk in the morning. The talk was ok- just say NO- and be firm. Also, pick out which vouchers you want ahead of time, so when you leave they have the envelope ready with your vouchers. I read on Trip Advisor that some people put $ down and had a hard time getting it back- we gave them $20 which we got back when we attended the talk. Any how, it all worked out because we got vouchers to Middleton Place (plantation) worth $50 ($25 each to get into the grounds); we got a voucher for 2 on the Gray Line 90 min City Tour which was excellent!(usually $20 each) We chose a voucher for a Carriage Ride, again $20 each value; and we also took a voucher for 2 for the Ft. Sumter boat trip (about $14 each). So with 4 vouchers-we saved about $150 in siteseeing fees. There were other sites to choose vouchers for or you could get a $25 voucher towards certain restaurants. I would say it was worth the 90 in talk- and going to the wrong "welcome center". After the talk, we did the 90 min Gray Line Tour around the city-it was entertaining and a great overview-it leaves from outside the real Visitors Center. We then had lunch at Ministral near the Market-it was ok for lunch. We had dinner our 1st night at Magnolia's on Bay St- very nice, good food and wonderful service.- After lunch at Ministral we picked up our 1 hr carriage tour - the driver was a dud and he cut the ride by 15 min.- We had dinner at Pane e Vino on Warren- good Italian away from the tourist traps. The next day we walked to Liberty Square to pick up the 9:30 boat to Ft. Sumter. This was great- history narration on the boat and at the Ft. a great history narration by a Park Ranger. I would highly recommend doing this. We got back from the Ft. around 11 - and then we drove out to Middleton Place Plantation-we used our voucher to get in- but paid and additional $10 each to tour the house. There are a few plantations to choose from to visit-people poo-pooed Boone Hall;recommended Middleton or Magnolia Plantation. Middleton gardens are worth seeing, the house tour was short but interesting, but the plantation house itself was a let down-the main house had been burnt by Union Soldiers-so don't go expecting to see a large plantation house with white pillars and Scarlet O'Hara on the porch! All in all I would do Middleton- I read that Magnolia Plantation's house was rebuilt in the 20th century. We ate dinner in Charleston at Girabaldi's Cafe on Market St.-no good-poor value-poor service.

Our final morning in Charleston we had breakfast at Joseph's on Meeting St.. - very good- and we walked over to visit the Nathaniel Russell House, which was worth the trip. After that we left Charleston for Savannah. Charleston is pretty touristy- We stayed at the King Charles Inn which we highly recommend-skip the Market St area-a little seedy- and very touristy-also Bay is touristy- once you get down into the Battery area things are quieter and you are not being hounded on the street to come in for a time share talk and get free whatever- they are on the sidewalks just hounding you each time you walk past.- that was annoying!

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

After reading your post about Fort Sumter, I might be tempted to take the trip again. We did the tour in 2003 and could not have been more disappointed. There was no ranger or narration anywhere. We were left to wander the fort alone...there was no one there to answer any of our questions. I just figured that the tours were all the same. Thanks for letting me know that they are not.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

Thanks for the feedback! Glad that you enjoyed yourself. I had not heard about the "Welcome Center" but glad it worked out so well for you. I only am aware of one other time share group that tries to get you in and it is on East Bay Street across from SNOB Restaurant. We just smile, say no thanks and keep walking.

The house that you toured at Middleton Place was built in 1755 as a flanker or dependency building. Originally, it held the offices of Mr. Middleton, the laundry area and the guest quarters for visitors and visiting family members. It became their home after the main house (built sometime prior to 1730) was burned by the northern troops. There was another flanker on the other side of the main house that housed the music room, the art gallery and the extensive library. It was burned at the same time.

Many of the plantation homes in this area pre-dated the time when the white pillars (mid 1800s) were popular. Hollywood made many things famous that are historically inaccurate. The plantation homes and the gardens were built to look much like those estate homes in England.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

Thanks for the report! I am glad you enjoyed breakfast at Josephs. The lunch is excellent (and cheap) also.

Sorry about the confusion between the Visitors Center and the Festiva Welcome Center. I have thought that this could be an issue for visitors. From now on, I shall warn people. Glad that it worked out 'OK'.

Drayton Hall, my personal favorite among the plantations, is the only original Ashley River plantation home. Drayton Hall is maintained by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It is unrestored and unfurnished ... but many believe they have seen a ghost there.

4. Re: 2 Dys/ 3 Nts in Charleston-couple in 60's-Festiva vouchers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 11, 2009