We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See!!

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bixby
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must See!!

I will be in Charleston mid-December with an Elderhostel program which includes: a "bus tour of the historic Charleston area, walking tour of historic homes, and a Charleston stage production (A Christmas Carol or A Ghost Story of Christmas)". I'm a history buff and will have some free time. What are the "must see" things I should include? Also, what kind of weather (clothes) should I be prepared for? THANKS!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See!!

The weather can be warm to cold that time of year. Dress in layers with a jacket and bring an umbrella.

You may wish to take a tour of some of the houses downtown. The Nathaniel Russell House and the Edmonston Alston House would be my top two picks.

The Old Provost and Exchange Building might be of interest. Be sure and see the dungeon in the basement.

If time permits, you can arrange for a trip to Middleton Place (plan on about 1/2 day) and take a house tour while you are there or take a boat ride to Ft. Sumter.

There is a free museum on the second floor of the library building at The Citadel. You actually enter it on the side of the building rather than going through the library. The student will be gone from campus and you may wish to confirm the times.

Bixby
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See!!

SCBlossom,

Thank you for these suggestions. I'm not sure how much free time I will have, but will add all these to my list for when I get my final schedule and can prioritize.

3. Re: Must See!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, September 09, 2009