We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants....this weekend.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
Restaurants....this weekend.

We're staying there this weekend..suggestions please? Doing Harbor Cruise first evening finishing at 7:30, where would you recommend eating fairly close by? Seafood, shrimp & grits preferred to get in the swing of things Charleston.

General questions: Hanks? Charleston Crab House? Husk? SNOB? Poogans Porch?

Cru? Breizh? They all look fantastic, but can my wallet hold out? I'm assuming reservations a must?

Only two of us.

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
51 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Yes, reservations are a must and you should have made them a couple of weeks ago. You may be limited to locations that still have openings. Skip Crab House, it is a tourist trap.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

You know, I sensed that just by the name..but was hoping for the best.

Hanks sounds like it’s for real. Yes

As far as reservations go, I’ll get in it. Wish I were able to make reservations as far ahead as you suggest, but just too many things in the air before we finalized trip.

We’ll just have to wait in the bar...darn the luck!

Thanks.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
51 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Hanks is very good. Many think Husk didn't live up to the hype. The McIntosh is very good, as is SNOB, Magnolia, Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill, Cru Cafe, Rue de Jean,Coast, Basil (thai) ~ lots of good choices.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Thanks! Looking forward to the trip; first timers after all these years. Been to Savannah twice, Hilton Head several times, but never Charleston.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
508 posts
19 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Coast is closed indefinitely (no repair date given) due to a collapsed roof. What a shame, for now.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

This mornings paper says that the patio at Coast should reopen today, pending a meeting with building officials.

The interior remains closed for the time being.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

This mornings paper says that the patio at Coast should reopen today, pending a meeting with building officials.

The interior remains closed for the time being.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Have no idea why this posted twice.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

thanks...

I think we have it figured out. Decided, due to proximity to harbor cruise dock, we're going to hit

Fleet Landing for dinner first night, then Cru, then probably SNOB or Hank's..everything else

we'll wing as the days happen. Thinking 167 RAW, Breizh, Poogan's Smokehouse, drinks on Vendue Roof and possibly at the Thoroughbred Club.

Too much planning can ruin a vacation, since, in our opinion, the most interesting

times seem to happen totally out of the blue. As Bourdain put it...."...trying to micromanage the perfect vacation is always a recipe for disaster...." I have done that, and fear I'm approaching it here for this trip somewhat. But, I have learned that reservations at the best restaurants in Charleston are necessary, and that kind of attention to detail we will do. Thanks for helping.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
207 reviews
55 helpful votes
10. Re: Restaurants....this weekend.

Fleet isn't really representative of Charleston's better restaurants, so don't go with high expectations. The water view is the big draw there since it's the only place in town on the water. All the other places mentioned by Endosunshine have far superior food and service, but will be hard to find a seat that isn't available after 9:30, if at all, on weekend nights.

Edited: 11:46 am, June 13, 2018
Reply to: Restaurants....this weekend.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted