We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
342 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

The wife and I have been to Charleston before and we love it. We are taking my mom this time and she has never been so what would be the best "welcome to Charleston" thing to do when we arrive? We'll be getting there this coming Saturday afternoon (24th) and after a 5 hour drive I'm not sure we'll do a lot that day, maybe swing by the Visitor Center and pick up our Heritage Passport's.

So, with us getting there around 3 or 4, what should we do first? Take a carriage tour of the city so my mom can get her bearings of the city and a relatively quick overview? Do we save the tour for the next day when we aren't as tired and just get some good Charleston food instead as our welcome?

Here's our itinerary so far:

Saturday - arrive, get settled in, pick up Heritage Passport's, not sure what else?

Sunday - Hunley tour @ 2, depending on what we do Saturday we might do a carriage tour

Monday - Using Heritage Passport see Drayton and Middleton

Tuesday - Using Heritage Passport see other houses, museums - maybe go see Angel Oak

Wednesday - SC Aquarium, maybe just walk around the Historic area - an easy day, maybe a Ghost tour that night?

Thursday - Cypress Gardens

Friday - Coming home

Since my wife is pregnant and my mom isn't going to be climbing and walking a whole lot, I have tried to leave some downtime in there as I figure how tired they are will dictate a lot of what we do outside those things we've purchased tickets for (Heritage Passport & Hunley). We are staying at Folly Beach in a vacation rental so just relaxing is big too.

With all that said, are there any "must see/do" things I have left out that I should add? This list is pretty flexible with the exception of the Hunley tour. I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas!

Thanks

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

If you make it out to Johns Island to see Angel Oak, you could easily see the Tea Plantation and Irvin House Winery(both are on Wadmalaw Island). Pack a lunch; you can have a picnic at any of the above.

Eliza

North Carolina
Level Contributor
342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

Funny you mention the tea plantation as about 10 minutes after posting my original message I added it on the map as something to possibly do! haha It looks interesting and how many times in your life will you be able to say you were on a tea plantation after all? :)

I dont think I have seen a lot of information on the winery, what is it like?

Is Boone Hall worth adding in considering what else we'll be seeing with the Heritage Passport (i.e. unique enough to be included)?

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

My hubby loved the tea plantation (it was hard for me to get him off the golf course;-}). The folks that own the winery are great and full of tons of information. It is muscadine wine so it is different. I think the winery has a website too. It is Irvin House Winery.

I'm ashamed to admit it has been years since we've done any of the "cultural" tours. I'm not sure we've even been to Boone Hall. Shhhh, don't tell anyone;-)

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

Boone Hall is great, but I would personally stick to Middleton, Drayton, and/or Magnolia. As far as your schedule goes I would personally just take the night you arrive as a day to eat, drink and be merry. No need to run yourself ragged, but if you want to do something that first night a carriage ride would be good. Keep in mind though that the last carriage that goes into the residential area leaves a little after 4pm because they cant be in the residential district after 5pm.

Enjoy your trip ya'll.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

Thanks guys, I had forgotten about the tours not leaving much after 4. I think we will save the carriage tour for Sunday then. Taking it easy is probably a great idea JT as I'm sure we'll be a little tired from the drive in.

How much time should we save for the tea plantation, winery? Between those and Angel Oak that could become our Thursday instead of Cypress Gardens. The wife wasn't too keen on the idea of Cypress and the swamps while being pregnant! haha

JT - I've read a lot of your posts over the last little bit and I know you have a suggestion for that first dinner in Charleston that just screams "Welcome!". haha

South Carolina
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

We live about an hour and a half from Charleston, so we often enjoy "day trips." We love visiting this city! Here are some restaurants we like as well as other suggestions for activities along with some photos:

http://www.funbeaches.com/charleston.html

7. Re: Best "Welcome To Charleston" & Trip Itinerary Suggestions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 28, 2009