We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to chose a restaurant in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to chose a restaurant in Charleston

After reading all the posts on places to eat in Charleston and getting emails for some people who live there my husband and I have come up with these two places. We are only going to be in Charleston for two nights and really want to experience real southern cooking. First is Hanks, have read some great reviews and the meun looks good. Second is Jestines Kitchen, this place got great reviews from someone who lives in Charleston and their website looks like a wonderful place to get that real southern food experience. Can anyone out there give me some insite into these two places. Would love to hear about either or both places.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to chose a restaurant in Charleston

Dear Ginny,

Jestine's is recommendable. Very informal atmosphere, excellent food.

Hanks I do not know.

The other outstanding dining experience that we had was at Magnolia's. Pricier tha Jestine's, very southern and elegant food. Friendly staff.

SNOB has a very good rep (we couldn't get a table for love or money)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to chose a restaurant in Charleston

Hanks is one of my favorite places for seafood and has a great atmosphere. You can't go wrong with any choice there.

We go to Jestine's for lunch on Sundays somtimes. They have the best fried chicken in town and I love the cucumbers that they serve before your food arrives.

Jestine's is like a "country kitchen" and Hanks is a bar/restaurant. Both have excellent food!

For lunch you might try Joseph's on Meeting Street for good salads/sandwiches or Poogan's Porch for more southern fare.

I also really like Five Loaves for soup/salad/sandwich and The Bookstore Cafe for great southern breakfasts!!!

Have a great time.