We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
192 posts
505 reviews
Save Topic
Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

We are considering the Bluffton area, maybe even The Inn at Palmetto Bluff (cottage rental) in March of 2014 with our well behaved 45 lb. dog. We want to be able to walk daily on long runs/walks with her and also explore the area for dining, play a little golf and pickleball and generally get away from Northern Michigan snow. Would you recommend this area, or should we go further south? We are not beach or pool people, so the cooler temps are okay with us. Friends have suggested Hilton Head, but it looks too congested to us. Suggestions appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

Bluffton does not have beaches. Bluffton and Hilton Head are separated by a bridge and you would need to go to Hilton Head to go to the beach. Have you considered beaches near Charleston? They are pretty quiet in March. Isle of Palms and Folly Beach.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

The Inn at Palmetto Bluff is a great place to relax. Since you alluded to not being a beach person, then having to go to Hilton Head doesn't seem to be too bad. Another beach in the area that you may want to consider that's less congested than Hilton Head is Hunting Island State Park, near Beaufort (also a nice destination, a historic small town).

The only issue you may have with Palmetto Bluff is a degree of remoteness. You're at least 30 minutes away to grocery stores and non-Palmetto Bluff restaurants. That drive may be bothersome to some people if they want to check out the rest of Bluffton, Hilton Head, Beaufort, or Savannah. A full month at Palmetto Bluff may be TOO long, despite its beauty and obvious charm.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

I made the assumption (which I shouldn't) that when you said "long walks/runs" with the dog, that you meant on the beach. That is why I mentioned it, but I may have totally misinterpreted.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?

Bluffton is a great town. Lots of great restaurants and you wouldn't be disappointed with Palmetto Bluff. Its awesome! Its definitely not 30 minutes to the nearest restaurant as another person suggested, but definitely would be at least 15 minutes to some restaurants.

Reply to: Bluffton Area for a Month with a Dog?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bluffton