We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

Which Beaufort hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfield...
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

My family of 5 will be driving from CT to Hilton Head in August. It’s a long trip.

Is Beaufort at good place to stop over night? Travel-wise, it sounds good because we’d get the bulk of the driving (13+) hours out of the way before we stop. We will be driving on a Saturday. Our reservations on HH begin on Sunday.

Also, I’m looking for a hotel recommendation for Beaufort – one night stay, easy to get on/off main road, and ideally easy to walk to town, historic area, sights. We will definitely want to walk around and stretch our legs. Need accommodations for 5 (2 adults, 3 teenagers). Budget friendly would be great.

Thank you in advance!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

It's less than an hour from Beaufort to HHI. You might want to make it a day trip up from HHI instead and you won't be as tired to see the sites. Try a stop at Walterboro or Point South.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

I concur with Steve... hopefully you have time to do a day trip from HHI. Consider staying on 95 somewhere. The cheapest hotels in Beaufort that are in downtown start at $120 on weekends and they're usually booked solid. Here's a link though for suggested day trip ideas:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

Thank you both so much for your replies.

Once we get to Hilton Head, we are staying for a week and do not plan to drive anywhere (other than locally) until we head home on Sunday.

$120/night is fine.

There is availability at the Country Inn & Suites and at the Hilton Garden Inn. Are either of these locations within walking distance of downtown or attractions? We will probably arrive by 5pm (hopefullly!) so we would have only an evening to spend in Beaufort.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

Neither of those locations are in walking distance. Between the two options, I would definitely recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. Be sure to check out Bay Street and the Waterfront Park, which is within a five minute drive of the hotel to stretch your legs and grab some dinner. In the morning before you head out to HHI, you may want to walk around the historic district before lunch (most rentals don't let you in before lunchtime anyway).

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

Thank you, beaufort-tiger! I look forward to checking out Bay Street and Waterfront Park. It looks beautiful and I love to walk.

Lowcountry SC
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

I like your idea of No More Driving once you are ensconced on HHI. You will be glad you made time for Beaufort though-- the Best Western on Bay Street might suit your needs- the other choices are B&Bs and City Loft Hotel. If you do end up driving the 5-10 minutes, from the Hilton Garden Inn for example, park a few streets back from Bay St (where the shops are concentrated) and enjoy the shady stroll through the historic district. And feed that meter (bring silver!) Now I'm wondering if B&Bs offer any deals for last minute bookings, this isn't the busiest season for them, like spring and fall are. Does anyone else on this forum have an informed opinion on the possibilities of that?

7. Re: Overnight stop in Beaufort on the way to Hilton Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 17, 2014