We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaufort or Charleston?

Which Beaufort hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland,oh
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
Beaufort or Charleston?

My husband and I will be attending a family wedding in Augusta, Ga. in October of next year. We would like to incorporate a short 3 or 4 day vacation. We are coming from Cleveland. We were thinking of Charleston or Beaufort. We like low key, some shopping and nice restaurants. Any ideas on which location would be better? Thank you!

England
Level Contributor
462 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

Hello nancetta

Both places are very nice , Charleston is much larger and many more things to do and see but is busy .

Beaufort on the other hand is quite but enjoyable and very laid back ,Coming from London ( England ) I was only too happy just to shoot the breeze in Beaufort .

if you stay in Beaufort stay well clear of PANNINIS Resturant

absolute rubbish , service and food .

I was over this june / july so had a great summer vacation I have no idea what it would be like in October .

hope this helps in some way .

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

I would stay on one of the islands between Beaufort & Charleston. We just returned from a weekend on Seabrook Island (southern tip of Kiawah), which is 20 miles south of Charleston. It is a gated island, very low-key, quiet beaches, beautiful views, and lots of natural greenery and wildlife (deer, turtles, raccoons, and oh yes - alligators!). It will still be warm in October, too. It's a short drive to Charleston - we went into Charleston every evening for dinner, drinks, and dancing. We found our condo on vrbo dot com. I'm jealous - we can't wait to return!

Augusta
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

Charleston is great for any amount of energy. Beaufort is nice but more for older slower types, and kind of quiet past 5. There is a drive-in theater near-by. On the other hand, Charleston is charming and easy (fun, food, rest, shopping) all the time. Careful, you might want to move here. My wife and I did.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

Beaufort would probably best suited for you , low key and everything located close by, shopping, Historic homes, and dining. T ry the Saltus River Grill , I here its pretty good. Have a great time ,

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

I second gnodule. Check out the islands. If this is a rare trip to this part of the east coast you shouldn't have to miss the beauty, history, architecture, 'other-worldlines' of either of these lovely cities. We have stayed in Charleston itself and also at a beach which was very laid back and no trouble at all coming and going to where we wanted. This way you can get some sun and sand time as well. Enjoy!

Charleston, SC
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaufort or Charleston?

Both cities are quite breathtaking. I am from Charleston and can never get enough of it. I have visited Beaufort a couple of times for the "quietness" but Charleston has far more things to do for a couple of days. Multiple award winning restaurants, gorgious antebellum mansions, cobblestone allyways, it is quite romantic. The history of the Charleston is alive and you'll be able to experience it the moment you step into the city. Take a carriage ride, and also try High Cotton Restaurant. Ya'll Enjoy!