We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Hunting Island State Park

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Hunting Island State Park

Hi folks, the dh and I decided on a quick camping trip to the beach this weekend and thought Hunting Island sounded very nice. We have a few questions, though, about things not mentioned or unclear on the park website:

- How far in driving time is Hunting Island from I-95? How about from Hunting Island to Parris Island? (The hubby's an ex-Marine. I would think he'd never want to see Parris Island again, but I'm a civilian so what do I know?)

- How bad are the bugs this time of year? Are they usually so thick that I will need sleeves and long pants, or will a quick once-over of bug spray do? Or maybe they won't even be a problem... is that a pipe dream, or what? :)

- Does anyone know if you can rent bikes while on the island, and if so, a ballpark cost?

- How about those raccoons? Anyone know if the tent campsites have those little houses at each site to stash your food, or bear cables to raise your food out of little paws' reach?

- Any other words of advice or tips about fun stuff we shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
409 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Hunting Island State Park

I'm not an expert but have been to Hunting Island several times. Never overnight since my folks live in Beaufort, but I'll answer as much as I can.

From I-95, take 21 all the way to Hunting Island. The road literally stops there. You'll go through places like Beaufort, on to St Helena Island (maybe stop for some original Low Country Boil in Frogmore). To go to Parris Island you'd turn off of 21 before Beaufort, so I'd suggest doing that first (or last) as you are coming from (or going to) 95.

Bring bug spray!!! My husband must be really sweet because he has to use nearly 100% deet when we are there in the spring. If you are on the beach and the breeze is blowing, the bugs don't bother you. But inside the park, you will certainly notice them.

Don't know about bikes or raccoons. Hope that helps!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
409 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Hunting Island State Park

Oops. Forgot to mention that off of 95 it should take about an hour to get to Hunting Island. Parris Island is about 10 mintues south of Beaufort, give or take.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Hunting Island State Park

If you have good snap-top coolers and dispose of your garbage away from your site (i.e. in dumpsters), you should not have a problem with racoons. The racoons are very clever, but they generally go for easy marks - like plastic garbage bags and containers with tip-able lids.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Hunting Island State Park

Thanks for the replies but it looks like I'll be sticking closer to home this weekend due to that stupid barge. :(

5. Re: Questions about Hunting Island State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 29, 2009