We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jon's Walking Tour

Grand Rapids MI
1 post
Save Topic
Jon's Walking Tour

Without a doubt, one of the best tours that we've ever taken. We learned so much information on this tour. We tooks tours in Savannah and Charleston, and this was the best! Would highly recommend it to anyone.

February 2007

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

was it hard to get a reservation...we are going to Hilton Head next week. i meant to reserve earlier and the time just got here so fast...i am hoping i didn't blow it!

thanks

debi

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

it wasn't all that great. nothing to write home about thats for sure, about what you'd expect, nothing more nothing less. they were cordial, but we felt like a herd being led to water for the most part. i had expected more for that price. and forget about lunch.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about with the references for "they" and "forget about lunch". We took the tour last week with Jon and thought it was excellent. There was only 7 of us so they group was very managable and not a "herd". Granted, the size of the group would vary from tour to tour but I can't imagine that Jon takes too large a group at any one time as keeping a large group together, especially when crossing the main streets, would be very difficult. Jon was the only person - there wasn't anyone else that would constitute a "they", unless Jon has an assistant when he has a large group. There was no lunch included in the tour as the tour times are 10 AM and 1 PM and leaves from the area near the recently redone waterfront, which is very nice (the grand opending ceremony was about a month ago). There are restaurants within walking distance of the tour start/end point and there is a decent amount of metered parking. A small gift shop sells water, which is recommended as the tour runs about 2 1/4 hours. We found the tour very informative and well worth the $15, which is quite reasonable for a walking tour.

This is a little late for the person asking about reservations: Due to several flight delays as a result of the big snow storm in the Northeast, we didn't get to Hilton Head till Tuesday, the day we originally planned on doing the tour. As we had prior commitments for the Wednesday and Thursday, Friday was the only day we could go. Was able to get into the 1 PM tour without a problem, even with a group of 5. So if you don't have advanced reservations, either call Jon on his cell or show up at the waterfront. I'm sure he will do his best to accommodate you as long as your group isn't too large.

California
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

We walked with Jon last Thursday afternoon. It was a wonderful tour with so much information and beauty. Wish i had a recording of it so I could match it up with all the beautiful pictures I took. Anyone in Beaufort should definately take this walk with Jon!

Thanks again

debi

Kahului, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

Jon makes history come alive. After we took his tour we went over the same route again that night. by car With the house lights on we could see the insides of these great homes. Then the next morning we walked it again and thanks to Jon, we were able to talk intellectuality about these homes to some of the homeowners and meet their families.

It is true that Beaufort shares the same name as its North Carolina cousin, but that is where their similarity's stop. There are no Jons in Beaufort, NC and the when we took our self-guided walk we found only cold shoulders and "New Yorker" smiles. They can come down and buy up all their best southern homes, but they can't buy the true southern hospitality we found in Beaufort, South Carolina. Take the tour.

6. Re: Jon's Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, August 29, 2009