We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best seafood in Rhode Island?

My husband and I are staying right outside of Newport and REALLY want to try the best seafood in Rhode Island. A view would be nice also, although we'd rather have great food if we had to pick. Seeing as we're from south Texas- seafood really isnt very good and isnt fresh. I love how different everyones opinions are and I know it'll be debatable but any reccomendations? We really want to try a traditional Rhode Island clam chowder (clear broth) and heard we should avoid Champlins, Aunt Carries, and the something-coast-house or other becuase its mediocre. We're willing to travel anywhere and there really isnt a budget. Thanks :]

27 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Hi Heather,

Are you coming on a cruise ship?

I always recommend visitors get out on the water when visiting Newport. The Rumrunner is a good choice if you'd rather have a motor than a sail. You do get to cover more ground as a rule, and seating tends to be more comfortable. On the other hand, you have the noise of the motor and possibly the smell of the exhaust.

The whole harbor front area is a great place to spend a day, wandering into shops and enjoying lunch at a waterfront spot along the wharves. You can stroll up any of the side streets along Thames and see 300 year old Colonial homes, still being lived in.

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

We are heading to Newport this fall. Did you find the better seafood restaurants in or near Newport? We would love your tips since you probably were there.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Yes, certainly most of the seafood places in RI are near the coast and Newport. There are some very good, casual places like Anthony's and Flo's, popular places like Brick Alley Pub have seafood, and all the more upscale restaurants, that's all there is practically. New upscale place across the bay in Jamestown called 'Fish'; seafood everywhere in RI.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Yea, stop by the black pearl and try the chowder. Haven't been to Iggy's but all I hear is good. Usually when someone uses the s word, I discount the review.

Warwick, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

I HATE when people say Iggys is the best anything. It is fast food. Period. If you r from out if town especially there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to go there. There is a huge distinction btw a clam shack type of place and fine dining ( as well as in but) but Iggys is a decent clam shack at best.

Warwick, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Look at places in westerly too

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

For seafood, first lobster... it's just boiled. It's pretty hard to screw up, so when having lobster I'd opt for the cheaper places. If you're determined to eat lobster in Newport try The Lobster Bar's hot buttered lobster roll. Yum with a Newport price tag and fabulous view. My huge family also raved about the drinks there.

When in fine dining go for something more complex. My favorite seafood restaurants are not in Newport. The Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown has some of the best in the state, with a view to match, and a more reasonable price tag than you find in Newport. From 4-6 weekdays they have a buck-a-shuck on raw oysters, which are divine. Across the street Cap'n Jacks has the BEST chowder (white) and the clam cakes are great. I don't like the flour thickened chowder, so if you do, Cap's might not be fore you. Flo's in Middletown has the very best clam cakes. Cap'n's is just a hair lower. WAY WAY better than Iggy's, which has a weird Italian sort of twist to it. BUT Iggy's has the best doughboys. If you must eat fried dough coated with sugar, that is most definitely the place to do it.

2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

I'm really not sure who is giving you wrong advice. Champlins is delicious. The view is Beautiful. You may even get lucky enough to watch the fairy while enjoying a nice seafood meal and drinks(Bar) on the deck. Very New England!! And Awesome food!! Cross the street is Georges and great food also in a beautiful New England setting by the water. So sorry you received a false review..There food is Awesome!!

2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

O and Coast Guard house is another Great Seafood spot and Beautiful View..So those i would say are the best!!Best Ocean View Ever Too:) I lived in New England over 35yrs so trust me ..Great New England Spots

Cranston, RI
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Best seafood in Rhode Island?

Where in RI can you go sit down and order steamed clams?? RI has the best seafood, yet there's no places to go and enjoy steamers!! WHY???

Reply to: Best seafood in Rhode Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted