We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island with a Dog

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Block Island with a Dog

We're planning a trip to the coast next summer with our large poodle. Is Block Island a pet-friendly place? Are there several restaurants where you can eat outside with your dog? If the answer is no, we'd appreciate a recommendation for a plan "B".

Block Island
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Hi

How are you thinking of staying here...at an hotel, or renting a house? Generally the island is quite dog friendly....we allow them in our rental houses.....and we have dozens of local dogs, though where you can eat outside with one, I would have to look into.

Ala in all though, quite a good place for a dog owner.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Thanks kt12. We haven't decided what kind of lodging we want yet. Still looking. I'm plodding through blockisland.com and following all the links. Can you hazard a guess at which area we should be focusing on? We will want to walk to the beach and to restaurants. We like to pretty much stumble out of our room and into an outdoor cafe for coffee and a paper each morning. That's probably my husband's primary requirement. That, and the dog.

Block Island
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Hi Igate

If you want to stumble out of your lodgings and straight into a cafe, or to the beach, then somewhere like the Surf Hotel, or the Gothic Inn, would probably be best...locationwise. You would, however, have to check their attitudes towards the dog...I haven't ever had dealings with them on that subject. These two, alongside the gables, would put you right in town center, thus noise might be a problem.

Should you decide to rent a house, then you would be further from town, but stand an equal chance of finding somewhere that will take Fido.

Feel free to e-mail me direct if you wish....maybe I can help if yoyu need further info in those places.

Massachusetts
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Hey there - I am pretty sure that the Blue Dory allows dogs. At least they used to when I used to live out the island. There is a weight requirement if memory serves me right. Give them a call! :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Block Island with a Dog

I just read somewhere that there are lots of bars on Block Island. Do any/many of them have outdoor seating if we bring our small dog along? We may have someone that could watch her in Narrangansett (if they don't go along to BI with us), but just in case we take her along, I want to know what we can expect.

Thanks!

Massachusetts
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Ballards is definitely dog friendly - they also have a dog friendly beach. You can do lunch out at Yellow Kittens on the deck, or accross the street at Sharkeys. Most places are pretty flexible about having the dog if you sit outside. And almost everywhere has outside seating: The National, Aldo's, The Oar, Captain Nicks, ...even the Spring House (very nice) you could prob swing lunch there with a dog. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Block Island with a Dog

I was just at Ballards to eat lunch on Memorial Weekend. No Dogs on the patio allowed. Though I have seen them in the past. We have a Golden retriever and they told me no per the Health Dept. Ballards has some issues they are trying to straighten out with the State so I think they changed the rule.

Long Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Block Island with a Dog

Any one know of any retals we can bring our (trained) dog? Thanks! Are all beaches dog friendly or just some?

9. Re: Block Island with a Dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 02, 2009