We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to rent bikes?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to rent bikes?

Planning a 1 day trip with 13 & 15 year old. Is it necessary to rent bikes? If so, who offers the best price? Are there any "must see" places people recommend?

Mohegan Bluffs
Beaches, Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
Mansion Beach
Piers & Boardwalks, Beaches, Biking Trails
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

You definitely want to be able to get around the island to see the best places, bikes are good, there are rolling hills so it does make for a little workout. There are also mopeds and taxis. The must, must see places are Mohegan Bluffs and the Southeast Lighthouse.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

I agree with Hillside. The kids might not like the bike ride, and I think they are too young for the mopeds. The taxi tour might be the best bet.

JDP

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they had any choices other than bikes and mopeds. (They are definitely too young for the mopeds.) Are there any public buses or shuttles?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

The taxis are the shuttles. They do stop at the major highlights and let you walk around, plus give you a history of the island while they drive. Again, the island is ony 3 by 7/8 miles. The bluffs and the 2 lighthourses are the major highlights that need transportation to get to. You can walk or bike between Old Harbor, where the ferry will land, and New Harbor, where there are more boats but far fewer attrasctions. The shops, restaurants, inns/hotels are all predominately in Old Harbor, and the biggest beach, Crescent Beach, is right there too.

I think an hour taxi tour is now about $50.00, give or take.

JDP

Hingham...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

Hello, I am a first time visitor with two small children. I want to rent a bike with a covered two-seater trailer for the kids. However, are the roads swamped with tourist car/moped traffic? I have an image of biking around the island while they take in the views and nap or will it be an intense game of don't get hit- by- crazy- people? We will be there the last week of August, if that makes any difference as to the crowds.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

August is part of the high season so there will be more people.

The most crowded area with cars is Old Harbor, where the ferry lands and most of the restaurants, inns, shopping is located. As you begin to move away from that area traffic can lighten up, especially when you get to the other side, the west side of the island. There I think mopeds are more of a problem for cars than bicycles. Traffic can also be a problem near Crescent Beach, especially near the town controlled portion where the restrooms/snack bar is because of parking.

Block Island isn't Bermuda. The roads are a bit wider than that. If you are cautious and alert, which I'm sure you will be, you'll be fine.

JDP

7. Re: Necessary to rent bikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 14, 2014