We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

Hello. Does anyone know what the status is with the Surf Hotel for the 2013 season? I saw some sort of reference that after they finally reopened last summer the management was booted out?! Every now and then over the past several years I take a stab at lining something up, but it's always been closed or in transition or something. This is getting frustrating, so any insights people can offer would be much appreciated!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

Any time I'm there I see zero or limited activity. Last we tried to reserve a couple of rooms on line but got no where so wound up staying at the National. If they can't get their act together there isn't going to be any business. Too bad, so many people were looking forward to staying there once again.

JDP

Clark, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

I think we can finally rest assured that the Surf remains in good hands. It will reopen this season. After a difficult time, I understand that the Cyr family wil be stepping back in to return this beloved property to its esteemed position among Block island Inns. I'm looking forward to being there soon.

East Norwich, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

Although this is probably old news for you, yes the Surf is reopening this summer. Website is www.thesurfhotelbi.com, phone (401) 466-2241. Was a regular for almost 20 years prior to it's closing, and will be a guest 4th of July week. The hotel now has bar and restaurant, and the old days of the back kitchen and refrigerator are a thing of the past. Looking forward to revisiting this grand hotel and all the wonderful memories it provided for my family.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

Let us know how it goes Frank S because there are many regulars who want to come back.

JDP

NY
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

It actually reopened last summer. Only 8 rooms, and it was shotty at best. Definitely not worth the $250/night price with shared bathrooms.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

The Cyrs (original owners for over 50 years) are back running the place. The sisters who managed it with an option to buy are no longer there. There doesn't seen to be a six night minimum in July and August like before and the prices for the rooms have dropped dramatically. Almost $100.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

The Surf Hotel is open and accepting reservations for the 2014 season.

They have transformed the first floor and have a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They have enlarged the deck across the back of the building, facing the beach, so the outdoor dining view is one of a kind.

A fully handicap accessible guest room has been added to the first floor of the building.

They are continuing to upgrade improve the building.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

The Surf Hotel is opening for the 2014 season TODAY!

The restaurant looks great. They have a new awning outside which has improved the outdoor seating on the huge deck.

There is a lovely little bar inside and the view is amazing.

The Surf Hotel has rooms available upstairs and a fully handicap accessible room downstairs.

Over Taste of Block Island Weekend (May 30-June 1) the Surf is doing an appetizer special for button holders; all appetizers are $5.00 for the weekend to button holders.

9. Re: What is going on with the Surf Hotel???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2015