We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

Worcester...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

I'm a reporter heading to Block Island midweek in August with a photographer for a day-trip story. Is it realistic to consider bicycling for on-island transportation? One bike rental place said they had baskets for equipment. I'm comfortable with ~25-mile rides on Cape Cod. Can't speak for the photog, but he's young ;-).

Also, any "must see" places?

Thanks.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

Bicycling is a great way to see the island. The terrain is rolling hills, so it is a good workout, but worth it as there are so many pretty dirt roads off the main ones to explore, like the one to Mansion Beach for example. The must see places are Mohegan Bluffs and the Southeast Light.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

You should also go to North Light, up at the end of Corn Neck Road and Great Salt Pond with all the boats. The island is only seven square miles so you should have no problem seeing the whole island in a day. I would think that most bike rental places would have bikes with baskets.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

I think the mopeds, which you can also rent, have a little bit of storage space on them too. There is a place, on the dock, which offers not only car and moped rentals, but also other "vehicles" for lack of a better term that you can rent to get around. Maybe your photographer would want to check there if a bike is too much.

JDP

Worcester...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

Thanks. It looks like my photog buddy will bring over two bikes -- we'll roll from there!

5. Re: Block Island with no car but photo equipment - day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 20, 2013