We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay

New London...
1 post
Save Topic
Best places to stay

Hi, a few of my friends and I are planning on making a trip to Block this summer and we are trying to figure out where. I have never been but a few of my buddies have. We are currently college students with minimum wage jobs, so we are not looking for anything too fancy. We're looking to be close to a beach with decent swell since we are planning on bringing our surf boards. Definitely looking to be near the party scene as well. Any suggestions will do. Thanks a bunch - Sam

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay

Nothing is cheap in Block Island but a good place to stay, centrally located, would be the National Hotel. Walking distance to all the bars in Old Harbor., plus they have great food there as well. Also, staying anywhere mid week is going to be much cheaper than the weekend.

As for surfing, the best is on the south side of the island at the base of Mohegan Bluffs.

For more information check out blockisland.com, block-island.com, and block-island.net

JDP

Block Island, Rhode...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay

Hi Sam,

I would give Block Island Reservations a call..they have some good spots located right in town with shared baths, which make the rooms much less expensive. You'll need bikes or some other mode of transportation if you are looking to surf....most of the best swells are outside of the main town area (depending on the wind, of course).

I agree with what most of what JDP writes except for the websites! www.blockisland.com has not been updated in about 10 years. Try www.blockislandinfo.com instead.

Once you are on island stop into Diamondblue Surf Shop to get the surfing 411.

Good Luck!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay

I don't disagree with you about the web site. If I ever see that the "webcam has moved" to a new location I'll probably fall off my chair!!

JDP

RI
Level Contributor
95 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay

Hi Sam, I agree with JDP, the island is not cheap in the summer and mid week prices are generally better than weekends. Also, most weekends require a 2 night minimum and 3 nights on holiday weekends. The National is a good location for what you are looking for, and close to the bars and beach (all walking distance). When were you planning to visit? Hotels book fast in the summer.

5. Re: Best places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:08 pm, April 30, 2013
Edited: 2:08 pm, April 30, 2013
6. Re: Best places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:40 pm, June 21, 2013