We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

We'll be in BI for a week in August.

My boyfriend and I are interested in sailing lessons while we're there. I'm a total beginner and my boyfriend used to be an expert, but is now really rusty. Is the Block Island Club the best option for lessons?

Alternatively, we could be interested in hiring an experienced sailor to take just the two of us sailing for an hour or two. Possibly with the option for us to follow instructions to help out. Any recommendations for that?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge would respond. From my research the Block Island Club does indeed sound like the best bet.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

My husband and I took lessons from Sail Newport!, an organization that tries to make sailing accessible to average people. We really LOVED it. The standard is one instructor and 3 students per boat (J22s), but there are options for private lessons, too. We selected the 3 evening lessons, which I see now costs $118. But check out the website and see if it might interest you if you can't find what you want on Block Island.

http://www.sailnewport.org/adultSchedule.html

Block Island, Rhode...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

Hi! The Block Island Club is your best bet for sailing lessons. Block Island Maritime Institute has turned over the sailing program to the Club so it is now the only formal option. I am sure that you will enjoy the Block Island Club lessons. You can call the Block Island Info Line at 800-383-2474 and they may know of a private sailor who would take you out and about.

Your best bet will be the Club though....and sailing on Great Salt Pond is awesome!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

Thanks for the responses. It looks like Sail Newport is in Newport and not BI.

The Block Island Club does seem like the best bet, but I discovered Sailing With Sofia, which seems to be a chartered sail with the option to help out.

I'm going to BI with a bunch of cousins and siblings, so I'm not sure which one we'll pick yet. But I'll come back with a report.

5. Re: Sailing Lessons and/or Sailboat Ride at Block Island Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, July 09, 2013