We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit to Block Island

Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
October visit to Block Island

First time visitors arriving mid October to striper fish.

1st question: Where to stay? Looking at B & Bs; Island Home, Blue Dory Inn, others should consider? Any specific room or location to request/avoid? Any known Fall specials?

2nd question: Striper fishing. Hot spots/location from shore? Charter company? Bait/tackle shop?

Final question: Meal planning; lunch, happy hour, dinner, wine list? Where do the locals eat their meals? Specific dish not to miss?

Mohegan Bluffs
Beaches, Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
Mansion Beach
Piers & Boardwalks, Beaches, Biking Trails
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit to Block Island

I find the local tuna caught off BI in the summer, the best of the best. Lodging and dining opportunities become quite limited after labor day though.

Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit to Block Island

There are still plenty of places to stay and eat through Columbus Day weekend. After that it does drop off.

I love to fish but haven't there. The Block Island Times offers great info on fishing, charters, bait, etc. Go to www.block-island.villagesoup.com to see the paper on-line. Or you could simply walk along either Old Harbor or New Harbor and I guarantee you'll find the fishing charters.

Good luck!!

3. Re: October visit to Block Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 16, 2012