We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

Hello. We are desperate to get feedback on posters who have actually stayed at the hotels/Inns that they recommend and hopefully they have been last season or this season. Hubby & I will only be going over for 2 days and we want to get a hotel that is within walking distance to the ferry and all that B.I. has to offer..We have been told that some/most hotels do not have A.C. is this true? not sure that this would work for us as we like to be comfortable while sleeping and would not want to be in a sweltering room in July...anyway we are looking for a room with a deck or balcony and ac with a resturant on premise or very very close for breakfast/drinks..I have read some reviews that some hotels were very dirty and just basically a place the 20 somethings go to party & get sick...this is NOT what we are looking for..we are in our early & mid 50s and want a comfortable, pleasing room with views and a.c...in the heart of it all..we will be walking everywhere so it is important that we be in the heart of everything. Any help with your personal info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

Most places do not have ac is correct, though most rooms do have fans.

For what you are looking for I strongly recommend the Hotel Manisses/1661 Inn, two seperate properties both with the same owner, just up the hill from the port. They also have a resturant, and some of their rooms do have decks overlooking the harbor

In the other direction, overlooking Crescent Beach, but also in Old Harbor is the Blue Dory Inn, which while only offering breakfast in the morning, there is the National Hotel across the street which offering great dining all day long, with wonderful views as well.

Enjoy!

JDP

Connecticut
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

I would recommend the 1661 Inn. Great food, a fantastic buffet breakfast and a late afternoon wine and nibble hour is included. The rooms are beautiful and most have a deck overlooking the ocean or coastline.

As for the AC requirement, there is usually a cool island breeze blowing each night. So, sleeping with a fan on and the windows open (listening to the ocean) is all you will need for cool.

Hope this helps.

ss

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

Thank you so much for the info. Great help. I'm very excited to go to BI this July and see what everyone is talking about. I'll check out those hotels...Thanks Jeannette

4. Re: Help!! First timers to Block Island...Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 05, 2010