We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

philly
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

we will be visiting block island for the day either the tuesday or thursday after Columbus day.

have read other posts where it says the island pretty much shuts down after columbus day weekend.

So, will we be able to rent a bike/moped to get around?

Any place to catch lunch that will still be open??

having trouble finding trail maps online anywhere?

is that a visitor center when you get off the ferry? will that still be open and have materials for the day visitor?

My husband and I are in in our mid-fifties, hoping to do some hiking, willing to do the steps to mohegan bluff.

any info would be helpful.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

I don't disagree that the island does pretty much shut down after Columbus Day weekend. Where are you staying?

There will still be places open for lunch open after Columbus Day. One or 2 of the moped places will also be open. As for trails, there are several visitor guides, either on your ferry coming over, or at your hotel/inn. They usually contain the hiking trails, though many trails are easily marked off the roadways. As for biking, better to stay on the roadway as opposed to off road. The island is very easy to get around so you should have no problem exploring at your leisure.

Hope you have great weather and enjoy!!

JDP

philly
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

thanks for the info.

We are staying in Watch hill and just planned to take the ferry over for the day.

boston, MA
Level Contributor
218 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

From watch hill you can catch a plane on the hour from Westerly airport for $39. Bethanys at the ariport is the best for breaky and lunch but no alchohol and no view of the Atlantic....but you can walk from there throughout the Southern part of the island.

Mohegan Cafe in town and and the Beachhead will still be open for lunch catering to the trades people if you are in search of a cocktail with your food.

Mopeds and bikes are always about. I would recommend the bike if it's a nice day as the silence is a huge part of the ambiance as you drink in the views.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

Mohegan Bluffs is a must. Swing by Southeast lighthouse, since it's right next door. I've never been there in October, so not too sure about what is and isn't open. Another one of my favorite things to do is take a cab to Sullivan house for sunset. It's a B&B that overlooks New Harbor...absolutely stunning. http://www.thesullivanhouse.com/

This is a great site on the different trails. Go to maps on the right hand side.

…uri.edu/daytrip/block_island.html

Have a great time!!

5. Re: Visiting Block Island in October after Columbus Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 24, 2010