We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

Boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

We are staying in Sand Hill Cove for a week, next week. We'd like to take a day trip to BI one of the days. We have never been there before, so I have no idea what to expect.

We'd love to see the Southeast Lighthouse and Mohegan Bluffs. 3 adults and 3 children (8mo, 2.5 yrs, 5yrs). The adults are fairly active. We really can't do bikes because of the 8mo old, unless one of the bike rentals had a front child seat, which I'm thinking would be hard to find out in advance.

I was thinking we could take a taxi to the bluffs and then walk back to town. It looks like a 2 mile walk. That distance should be fine for the adults, but we'd need to bring a stroller for the little ones. How are the roads, can we safely walk with a double stroller? I see there are trails, not sure if they go from town to the bluffs (having troubles finding trail maps). Are the trails such that we could push a stroller on them (big wheels on stroller so okay on dirt), or are they steep hiking only trails? Are there bike trails that go from town to the bluffs?

Is it a scenic walk? Would it just be better to catch a taxi back to town? Can we catch a taxi at the light house and just get back to town that way? It would be great for us to check out the sights and also get some excersise. But don't want to put too much stress on the little ones.

Oh, any recommendation on days to go to BI? Rather go on a day where the ferry may not be so populated.

Thanks much in advance for any information!!

Johanna

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

OK. The roads are fine, there's basically a circle of paved roads. But from the road down to the bluffs is a LOT of stairs. It's really quite a lot of stairs. It's a vast array of stairs. It's probably a level of stairs where I wouldn't recommend it trying to negotiate two children who you'd have to carry. That's up to you, but be prepared for EPIC stairs.

If you do this, take a taxi TO the bluffs and then walk back via the lighthouse and the Spring House ... because it's basically downhill the whole way. (In other words, it's uphill from Town to the bluffs.)

It's a nice walk, and as I said, all paved. Once you get to the Spring House, the kids can play on the huge lawn there. And then right before town you pass the Manissees farm/zoo, which my 3 year old absolutely loves.

Boston
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

Thanks so much for the information!!! It's very appreciated!

So, there's a lot of stairs huh? ;) JJ. Are they steep? Are they hard to get down, or is it the amount of stairs? Is there a view from the top, or do you have to go to the bottom to really appreciate it? Can we see all that needs to be seen at the light house?

Thanks for the tips for the way back. I knew about the zoo, but not the other suggestion. It sounds like a great adventure. I'm sure everyone will be complaining to me during it, then thank me when it's all done. :)

Thanks again!

Johanna

smithtown
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

Hi: My family has been going to Block Island for about 9 years now via our boat. My boys are 12 and 8 now. I didn't take them to Southeast Light or Mohegan Bluffs until 2 years ago. I am a very athletic person and I can tell you the stairs are very steep going to the beach at Mohegan Bluff, I believe there must be about 300 of them. Then they end and you must climb over rocks that are the path to the beach. The only way back up is the same way you came, climb the rocks to the long steep staircase. I have never walked back I know the landscape of Block and it is not straight and smooth, whindy roads. If you go, I would suggest brining a cell phone and calling the taxi co. that took you there for a ride back. We always travel to Block during the week, Monday thru Thursday, less people, weekends are crazy and can be packed w/people and day trippers. The town is wonderful, there's an animal farm that would be perfect for your children. Done that a few times and it's always enjoyable. A lot of stores do not allow strollers inside, I guess there's just not enough room when people are trying to shop etc.. If you like the beach you will not be dissapointed, on their maps there are much more "family friendly" beaches than Mohegan Bluff. I personally love it there, I enjoy Lighthouses and I even took an adventure w/my Dad when he was alive to Northlight. Totally do not recommend that trip w/small children/infants. Even if you take a cab they can only take you so far and then you must walk the beach area for mile and half to reach the lighthouse. The ocean side is not swimable but Sachem Pond is, very calm, nice.

Enjoy your trip, there is a lot to do on Block Island. Oh and ask the islanders, (the locals), they are very very helpful, tell you their favs whether it's a beach, restaurant etc..

Have Fun. Donna

4. Re: Day Trip - Southeast Lighthouse - Mohegan Bluffs with babies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:28 am, February 11, 2010