We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

Which Stroudsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
911 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

We are spending 3 days in the area second week of Oct, would like some ideas of things to see or do, we are thinking of doing a covered bridge driving tour, Pictures should be fantastic with the trees in fall foliage colors, also taking a ride on the train LeHigh Gorge scenic railroad, any other suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

Delaware Water Gap is beautiful in the fall. So is Bushkill Falls.

Quiet Valley living history farm has their Harvest Festival Columbus Day weekend www.quietvalley.org

I'm a little puzzled by your reference to a 'covered bridge tour". There are only 3 covered bridges in the whole four county Pocono area-Two in Carbon County and one in Wayne (none in Monroe or Pike Counties) The Wayne county bridge is at least an hours drive from the other two.

The closest 'TOUR' I'm aware of is Lehigh County's self guided tour www.delawareandlehigh.org which would be about an hours drive from Stroudsburg. Was that what you were thinking of?

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
911 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

Thanks for getting back with Ideas, This is the Web site I came across, Columbia has 21 bridges, Lehigh has six , but Bucks has 12 and the site has a link to a driving map, are these not accurate?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

Those are correct, however none of those counties are in the Poconos. You are looking at over an hour drive from Stroudsburg to any of these counties.

Bucks is probably the most scenic, with many old stone farm houses and barns beautifully restored by wealthy suburbanites.(The second week of October might be early for peak color in Bucks however, since it is south of the Poconos and not in the mountains at all).

Columbia County would be the most rural. I really have never toured Columbia Countys bridges, so I can't tell you much about the self guided tour or what else is around to see in that area.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
911 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

Thanks, The Drive doesn't bother me, I love taking Photos and hopefully the Colors are nice as I want them to be lol

How about the train ride? Any Advice?? good deal or No deal?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)

We did the fall foliage train ride about 10 years ago, and were not tremendously impressed.,partly because it was an overcast dismal day The engines are not steam engines, which I think lessens the experience.

However, a trip to Jim Thorpe (where the train departs from) is well worth it. Jim Thorpe, is probably the most attactive town in the Poconos with good restaurants and some interesting shops(less than before the recession). If its a nice day the train ride would be a good way to top off the day. And you can visit Jim Thorpe's grave before the body is sent back to Oklahoma.

Reply to: Oct visit to Stroudsberg (Pocanos)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stroudsburg
More Stroudsburg Topics