We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Which State College hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Alabama- Penn State weekend help

It will be my first time to State College but I didn't want to miss this chance. I'm flying into Baltimore and renting a car. Where should we stay Friday and Saturday? Harrisburg?? Will that hiway be a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday?

We want to spend time on campus Saturday morning. If we can't get game tickets, where is the best place to watch the game on TV? A good bar/restaurant on or near campus would be great (and hopefully unnecessary).

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

I'm thinking you might do well to try to stay in Lewisburg PA. We were visiting that area last fall during a Penn State home game and were surprised by how many people were staying there to attend the game. (We were at the Best Western-Country Cupboards hotel) It's about an hour away from Penn State, but it is an easy drive across a lovely Amish valley instead of up and over the mountains.

That's the problem with Harrisburg to Penn State--there really is only one way through the mountains, and even though it has improved tremendously over the last 10 years, football traffic can still be a problem, especially on the last stretch as you enter Happy Valley.

Hope this helps! Good luck with getting tickets for the game! The HUB (student union building) should show the game; you may want to call and double check.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Finding a bar to watch the game won't be problem!

What type of bar scene are you looking for? Younger college crowd, older alumni crowd - the bars can vary in State College so I'm hesitant to recommend one over another.

Lodging has been booked in State College for the PSU vs Bama game for months - you might luck out and find a listing on craigslist...

Like the previous poster mentioned you'll probably have more luck with surrounding towns (Bellefonte, Altoona, Clearfield). If you get on the road earlier Saturday morning the traffic won't be too awful.

Have fun - WE ARE!!! PENN STATE!!!

New Freedom...
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

You could also look in the PSU student newspaper www.collegian.psu.edu as a lot of students will rent out their apartments for the weekend...but you will pay a premium for them (as you will for any hotel room you find within a 100 mile radius of SC). As the last poster said, depending on the atmosphere you like will depend on which bar to recommend. Personally, I like Bill Pickles, Champs (a bit off campus) or the G-Man.

Have fun!

Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

I JUST STARTED IN BED AND BREAKFAST INDUSTRY AS AN INNKEEPER AT THE END OF MARCH. ALL OF THE ROOMS HERE WERE BOUGHT A YEAR AGO.............right now is not the time to be planning this trip unless you have tickets a room to stay in .......or the old standbye.................lots and lots of disposable income that you do not need for anything else........................good luck

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Okay, here's what you want to do.....first of all, don't drive from Baltimore to Harrisburg to State College. Instead, take the beltway out of Baltimore to I-270, then to I-70 West, then pick up Route 30 at Breezewood, to Bedford, where you will get on I-99 and drive straight through to State College with little problems. You could possibly find a hotel room in Altoona, which is on the way, but maybe not at this late date, as the others have said.

If you don't get tickets, and you may if you head to the stadium area Saturday morning, (just watch for scalpers), you could always go to Damon's, a sports bar right down the hill from the stadium. Or Champs, or Pickle's, as already mentioned. There are other places, too, but they are farther from campus and you'd have to drive. (Home Delivery Pizza is another restaurant with full service and good Italian food.)

I also suggest checking house rentals on Craigslist as you may find something there, depending on your budget.

New Freedom...
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Sorry....have to disagree with the last poster's directions as you have a better chance of running into horrible traffic driving through Northern Va/Md Beltway (trust me, I have lived in the area). You never know how long it's going to take plus Baltimore is only 45 minutes from the PA line. BUT, if you happen to find a hotel in Altoona, the 695/270 way would be best..

Huntsville
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Many thanks for the great advice. For now I have reservations in Lewisburg, which is fine. I'll get to see some of the countryside on the way up. I knew that I wouldn't find anything in State College (except the HI Express for $700+/night). Tuscaloosa is no differnet on game weekends- no surprise. I can check out the bar recs online, but hopefully won't need them.

Thanks again, Roll Tide.

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Well, I have lived in State College for over 30 years, and trust me, the traffic on that two-lane section of highway between the Mifflin County line (from Harrisburg) and State College will be extremely heavy with game day traffic, BUT it all depends on your timing, I guess. If you arrive in Lewistown before the actual game day, you may be fine. I'm glad you found a room! It will be a fun weekend.

Huntsville
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Thanks mderaba, but I'm staying in Lewisburg, not Lewistown. I just have to decide whether to take highway 45, 192, or I-80 on Saturday morning. Any advice on that?

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alabama- Penn State weekend help

Whoops, sorry, I meant Lewisburg! I really can't advise you as to the best route from there. I-80 will be out of your way, and 45 is two-lane rural highway (but very scenic!). And I totally don't know 192! But in any case, good luck, and have fun once you get to State College! I know I'm looking forward to it!

Get answers to your questions about State College