We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to state college

Which State College hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Visit to state college

Hi! My d will be studying in PSU in fall. Can I know if there is a bus from dulles to state college? Also is there any cheap motels that mynhubby and I could stay ? Preferably below 100 as we will be there for 13 days. Thank u

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to state college

As far as I know, there is no direct regular bus route from Dulles to State College.

Fullington Trailways offers special service from State College to various local cities, and they do seem to offer a route to the New Carrollton Metro stop. From there, you would need to take the Metro to hook up with a bus to Dulles. They do not have any trips for the upcoming school year scheduled yet, but you can find their phone number at their site:

http://tickets.fullingtontours.com/

You could cobble something together by Greyhound or Amtrak. Both options would be fairly long, though. By Greyhound, you would need to get to the DC station (there are directions on the DC forum), and then go to Baltimore and Harrisburg. For Amtrak, you would to Harrisburg, and then transfer to bus. The stations are in the same building.

It's expensive, but if you cannot drive, your best bet may be to take one of the commuter flights from Dulles to State College. I also know that many people with similar questions have managed to find other people going to/from State College to share a ride with. (With 3 people + luggage, that might be more difficult...but it's worth remembering for semester breaks)

As for hotels, try one of the large booking sites (like Expedia), put in your dates, and then cross-check with the reviews on TripAdvisor. The Days Inn is one that is in town and often fairly cheap--it would be walkable to campus, unlike many other options. However, State College has a local bus service, and you could check with the hotel of your choice to find out how close it is to a bus stop.

Good luck with your planning! And congratulations to your daughter!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to state college

I can't speak for the travel, but I regularly stay in the Sleep Inn in State College, not as close to the campus as the Days Inn mentioned, but still not too far. Prices are very reasonable and the hotel is comfortable enough. Plus, the Sleep Inn showers are incredible.

One very important thing to keep in mind - if their is a football game scheduled during the two weeks you plan to stay, you will not be able to find a hotel. You may be able to find something Sun-Thurs, but the weekends of games sell out as soon as the schedule is announced. If that is the case you may need to go to either Altoona or Clearfield for the weekend.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to state college

Thank you so much for the info. This is the first time we are traveling to state college and we are not too sure of how best to go there. One friend told me to fly to dulles and that is what we are planning to do. However is it better to fly to Newark and then take a bus from there. Will this be a better alternative?

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to state college

I'd look into flying into Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia. Much more likely to have buses from one of those locations to State College.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
18 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to state college

Definitely check flights directly to State College...you may find they are not any more expensive than the flights to the big cities.

State College...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to state college

I agree with the previous post. I live in State College and travel the world constantly for work, and I find that flying out of and into State College rarely much (if any) more expensive than just using the major metro airports (it just adds time to your trip - but much less than driving. The airport code for State College is SCE. The extra leg from Dulles to SCE is 45 minutes, with a 2-minute taxi ride to campus and downtown.

7. Re: Visit to state college

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, September 01, 2012
Get answers to your questions about State College