We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay while apartment hunting

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay while apartment hunting

My daughter and I will be traveling to State College next month to begin her search for an apartment or condo to live in while she is in a doctorate program at Penn State. Any suggestions on a place to stay while we are looking? Someplace with some nearby restaurants would be nice. Also, any recommendations on neighborhoods to investigate for housing - or those to avoid? She isn't looking for "the college life" - she is a serious grad student. Thanks for any input.

New Freedom...
Level Contributor
244 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

Hello and early Welcome to Happy Valley!

As you will notice when you arrive, SC is very centered around the university, thus most of the hotels are within a 5 mile radius of the campus. If you would like to stay downtown, you could stay at the Atherton Hotel (close to campus and can walk to restaurants, check out the Allen Street Grill and The Tavern). SC is also filled with restaurants and all are pretty much close to hotels. You probably want to stay between downtown and North Atherton St. For a true PSU experience, you could stay at the Nittany Lion Inn.

Your daughter may want to look into renting a small apartment type house, you may want to check out www.rentpfe.com; How much are you looking to spend monthly....that will give me a better idea of where to suggest

feel free to send me a message as my husband is a grad student here as well!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

It always seemed like the majority of grad students lived further away from campus and downtown- especially since it can get LOUD on the weekends!

Here is a list of apartment/townhouse/condo listings:

http://www.statecollege.com/apartments/

I had grad friends that lived in Copper Beach, Toftrees, Nittany Crossing, the Pointe, and Lion's Crossing.

You could also check out the Daily Collegian newspaper at www.collegian.psu.edu, in their classified section. Also, the on-campus graduate housing is still fairly new, and quite nice.

Also, just an FYI but the area in general (imo) mandates having a car (mostly for groceries, Wal Mart runs, going to the movies, etc) but there is a bus system as well.

As far as a hotel, don't stay downtown- it can be loud and unruly on weekend nights. I always preferred to stay at either Nittany Lion Inn or one of the many hotels on Atherton- Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, Holiday Inn...there's a few more.

Best of luck!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

Prior to a move to our home in State College, I rented an apartment for 9 months at Paramount appartments on Oakwood Avenue. They rent only to grad students, professionals etc and at the time (2+ years ago) were able to rent on a six month basis with an extension for a specified number of months as needed. It was very quiet and had walking access to grocery, Target and bus service. It's off the Waddle Road exit from the Rt 322 by-pass. There are also a number of hotels in the same area.

Clairton...
Level Contributor
1 post
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

If budgetary concerns need to be met, I would recommend looking in Bellefonte, Milesburg, and Boalsburg for apartments. Bellefonte is an old Victorian town. As for hotels, the Days Inn in Downtown will be the least expensive right in town, with access to all the restaurants and shops. I recommend Spat's Cafe, great Cajun-creole food, The Golden Wok is excellent Chinese food, and Herwig's is great German fare.

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

Thank you to everyone for your insightful input. This is a new adventure for us, and it's always helpful to get expert opinions when making such a big move. My daughter will be travelling to State College next week to check out apartments and visit the campus. Again, thanks - Tripadvisor is the best!

6. Re: Where to stay while apartment hunting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about State College