We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arts Festival

New York
Level Contributor
344 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Arts Festival

Any information about the Arts festival would be appreciated. How crazy is it to get around? How about traffic? Is ther a charge to park and Penn State? Purchasing food at festival is it reasonable? Thanks for any help!!

New York
Level Contributor
344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Arts Festival

What about inside the campus? We will be touring the college during the festival. Thank you!

Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Arts Festival

Campus will be bustling, especially the portion that actually hosts artists and concerts. On the rest of campus, you'll find that there are more people than on a typical summer day, but far fewer than while school is in session. A few roads will be closed for the festival on campus, as well as in downtown, but the major throughways in both areas will be open. At the very most, I would consider the crowds a minor inconvenience. It's nothing like a major festival in a major city -- cherry blossom festival in DC comes to mind -- not that crowded.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Arts Festival

Kuddles,

If you are touring the university as a possible place to attend, if the weather is good, you will be sold on PSU instantly. I went there for undergrad, and my wife is working on her masters there, and we just love going to visit there any time. It is such a beautiful area, with so much to do, and such good schools and cultural stuff to do, that we have considered moving there permanently.

New York
Level Contributor
344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Arts Festival

We are looking at Penn State for my son who is now a junior. He would love to attend Penn State. His grades are good but Penn State is a hard school to get into so we will keep our fingers crossed. We have only heard good things. Can't wait to see it that's why I was a little skeptical with the festival going on at the same time.

Thanks for your input!!

State College...
Level Contributor
214 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Arts Festival

Kuddles, I may be joining this discussion a little late but just came upon it. I live in State College and have been to the Arts Fest every year for most of the past 27 years. I wanted to assure you that there will be plenty to keep kids entertained, including the wonderful "waterfalls" landscaping that is on South Allen Street in the heart of downtown. Kids of all ages are able to run through creatively landscapes that have water features...some with small "buckets" that swing to and fro overhead, dumping small water showers on those beneath! Kids love this! Some come dressed in swimsuits. Also, there are several "misting"-type areas along this block as well.

There is also quite a bit of entertainment, from free musical groups of all genres to films and clowns, etc. Your best bet is to pick up a free guide, which you will find about everywhere, but even if you stop at one of the many Vistor Information booths on the route, you can pick up one the day you arrive.

Also, another word about the food booths...I would definitely not characterize it as "typical" arts/fair food. The organizers aim for quality and diversity, and you will find everything from strudels to Chesapeake crabcakes to Chinese and Greek specialties. New last year was a special food court on South Allen across from the State College municipal building, but there are food places all around the route. Plus, the Penn State Creamery! Don't miss it! Try Peachy Paterno for a flavor kick.

Have fun!

New York
Level Contributor
344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Arts Festival

Thank you for your info.!!

17. Re: Arts Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about State College