We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arts Festival

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Arts Festival

Any information about the Arts festival would be appreciated. How crazy is it to get around? How about traffic? Is ther a charge to park and Penn State? Purchasing food at festival is it reasonable? Thanks for any help!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arts Festival

I'm not sure about the parking situation. Many lots on campus should be open to the public from 5pm Friday through 7am Monday morning. The ones closer to festivities will be packed...and I'm not sure if there's additional restrictions during arts fest weekend. The easiest thing to do will be to park up by Beaver Stadium/BJC and take one of the buses running to the festivities (keep your eye on http://www.arts-festival.com, they'll probably post more information on parking/shuttles as the event gets closer). Or if you don't mind the walk...you can get from the Beaver Stadium/BJC lots on foot in about 15 minutes, and get to take in bits of the campus along your way.

Getting around by car isn't too bad...depending on where you are. If you are trying to drive right around the center of arts fest...obviously its a little congested with pedestrians...but the main "drag" of arts fest only crosses a small portion of College and Beaver Ave's (right up Allen street if my memory serves me correct), so the farther you are away from that area the less congested. If you're driving around on campus, the east part over towards the stadium is pretty quiet as well as the northern end (Park Ave), and I think the streets where any actiivities are going on are blocked off anyway. The best advice here is to just cover the festivities by foot, and if you are driving, avoid the center of festivities and you won't run into any problems.

The food (assuming you're talking about the booths and not the restaurants) is like any festival/fair. It's reasonably priced (generally cheaper than your standard sit-down restaurants...and many american and ethnic cuisines to choose from. The quality again, pretty much like any festival/fair food.

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arts Festival

Thank you for your reply. I was asking about the food at the booths. Someone told me they have the best chocolate covered strawberries. We are going to look at Penn State that week and I heard it was the Arts festival so I was wondering what that was all about. Is it something children would like? Thanks again for your help!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arts Festival

There should be at least a few things to entertain your kids. They usually have some bands playing (which is free)...and there may be a few booths/events that cater to kids (again, just watch the http://www.arts-festival.com/ ...it looks like they have a Children/Youth tab, just no info yet). But the main purpose of Arts Fest is for artists to display/sell their works...so I imagine it's not going to keep your kids entertained all weekend. I do know there used to be a guy who did a sand sculpture in a park downtown each year, not sure if he's still there. And of course be sure to take the kids to get ice cream at the Creamery out by East Halls.

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arts Festival

Thanks for your help. I heard alot about the Creamery. Is it a special type of ice cream parlor or do they just have good ice cream?

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arts Festival

Creamery ice cream is special because it can't be sold nationally - I think there's too much milkfat. I attended Penn State and only ate it twice, but I don't have a sweet tooth.

Additional trivia - Ben & Jerry graduated from PSU's ice cream program, and they've got a shop downtown.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arts Festival

actually heard the Ben & Jerry's closed downtown. But the creamery is just special because its made right there in the creamery, its very good (yet very unhealthy), and has just become a Penn State tradition.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arts Festival

Children's Day at the Arts Fest is on Wednesday. The have lots of hands on things for kids to do. Face painting, arts & crafts, etc.

Park at the Stadium. Anything close to in will be taken early. The Festival is pretty large. It flows over campus into downtown. It basically sits between Pollack Ave and Fairmount Ave. The food booths are generally local eateries and is pretty good. I worked at one for numerous years in high school, so I'm a bit biased. There are lots of "college" parties along beaver avenue and they atart early. If you have a young family, I would steer clear of Beaver Avenue between Pugh and Garner Streets.

There is also a smaller local Arts Festival in Boalsburg at the PA Military Museum Ground. It was formed by local artists who have be pushed out of the larger festival as it grew bigger.

As for the creamery. That is a must! But again, I'm biased. Fond childhood memories....

Hope your son likes Penn State. I loved attending there...

New York
Level Contributor
345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arts Festival

Thanks for all the info. I just hope getting around Penn State isn't too much of a hassle with the festival going on.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arts Festival

As long as you expect to only get around by bus or on foot, you'll be fine. Just don't expect to get anywhere fast, except around the periphery of campus and town, if you are driving.

Mid-Atlantic
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arts Festival

You will have no trouble getting around. Traffic will be heavy, but that's about it. The town will be crowded, but getting around will not be a problem.

Get answers to your questions about State College