We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Pens Game ????

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
Save Topic
Parking for Pens Game ????

Hello All,

Going to the Pens game next Wednesday and looking for the best option (not worried about cost) to get to and from the game. We are new to town and currently live in Mt. Washington.

I see on StubHub that there are parking passes in a garage at ...... 1014 5th Avenue. We made the mistake a few months ago of getting a "great" (close) parking pass for a Pirates game, and although the lot was in a great spot, driving to and from the game was brutal.

Don't want to make the same mistake again. Is driving to / from the Pens game as difficult as a Pirates game??

Should we make other arrangements ........ like a town car or something??

Thanks for your opinions!!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

Have you considered the T? We take it frequently for games so we don't have to deal with parking. You can either drive or take the incline to Station Square and hop on the T to Steel Plaza. From there it's a short walk to the Consol Center. If the station is busy after the game there are plenty of places to hang out until the crowds die down. Or a good trick is to catch it going AWAY from Station Square (these trains are usually empty) and riding the whole loop (15 minutes) so you are sure to get a seat.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

I just realized I gave you the same advice for a Pirates game. If you haven't taken the incline and/or T yet, you're really missing out on a good thing. Its certainly not the best public transit system, but its great for getting from the South Hills to downtown easily, quickly and cheaply.

Edited: 1:58 pm, November 20, 2014
Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

We didn't take the Incline ....... but we did park at Station Square and take the ferry for another Pirates game -- not the one we drove to, AND one of the Steelers preseason games. The ferry was a blast and super convenient.

I guess I'm just hoping the smaller crowd and a slightly more manageable area makes driving to the Pens game a decent option.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

If you're driving in for a Pens game on a weekday, you'll have both game and rush hour traffic. The flexible lanes on the Liberty Bridge will favor outbound. Going home will be better, but the bridge will undoubtably be backed up.

If you don't want to take the incline (it may be thought of as a tourist attraction but it's actually used for transport) there is a parking lot across Carson from the T station.

We're going Friday, which is also Light Up Night, and I wouldn't dream of driving.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

We have season tickets and park in the Chatham Garage, which is below the Marriott. It can be difficult at times to exit the garage, but if you're patient (or the crowd has thinned), you should have no problem. It's nice that the garage will keep your car warmer than if you parked at an outside lot. It's only $20 and if you aren't in a hurry to get home, you could stop in at The Marriott or across the street from the area at Blue Line Grill for a drink or snack.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

PensFan ..... that's a good option. Thanks! Speaking of the Blue Line Grill, I see on StubHub and Parking Panda that I can get a valet parking pass for that restaurant. Any thoughts on whether that might be a good option??

Thanks!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

I would call the Blue Line Grill to see about their parking. I know they have valet parking when you eat there, so you may not be getting much of a deal at all. I personally like being parked indoors, expecially this time of year so that I don't end up getting in a cold car after the game. I'm not sure where they park your car at Blue Line Grill. It's definitely worth a call to inquire some more though.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

Just to follow up with everyone ....... we opted for the Valet Parking at the Blue Line Grill. We arrived about 6:00 p.m. for a 7:30 game. I called them directly and confirmed that anyone can use their valet service whether you eat or drink there or not. Also, they do NOT limit the number of cars they park, so there is NO reason to pay a premium to get a pass in advance (StubHub, Parking Panda, etc.)

They charge $25, but you can get a $5 discount for food or beverage. The problem was at 6:00 we couldn't even get close to the bar, let alone take a shot at getting a table. We just headed to the game and ate there.

When we parked, which did not involve ANY wait at all, the attendant warned us that getting our car after the game could involve a decent wait. This of course made perfect sense. Being passive fans, we actually left the game a little early and had no problem getting our car at all.

9. Re: Parking for Pens Game ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 06, 2015