We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton to PNC Park

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton to PNC Park

We are planning to be in Pittsburgh in August for a Pirates game and got a room at the Hilton on Commonwealth. The game we will be attending is a night game so I was wondering if it would be safe to walk to and from our hotel or if it's too far, and if so are there any shuttles from this hotel to the park? Thanks!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

I did Mapquest from the Hilton to PNC Park--the link is too big to copy here but it says the distance is .78 of a mile, and I think the walking distance would be shorter than that because you can go in at the side of the park rather than enter through the front as Mapquest has you doing.

It is a safe walk. I don't know about shuttles from the hotel.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

It's quite walkable, and yes, .78 of a mile seems long to me. You want to head toward the river and walk along Fort Duquesne Boulevard, then cross the bridge to the park (you'll likely see lots of people on the bridge-they limit it to pedestrian traffic during games.)

I'm sure you've checked the posts here and know the Hilton gets iffy reviews. Just so you're warned.

Welcome and have fun!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

Thanks for the info. I did see that the Hilton had mixed reviews. We didn't really choose it but got it through Priceline. I did it that way because otherwise it is extremely expensive to stay in downtown Pittsburgh. Is the Hilton bad, or just bad for a Hilton but still pretty nice? We usually don't stay at Hilton hotels because of the price, so I'm wondering if the bad reviews came from people who are used to top drawer luxury, which we are not. Can anyone shed any light on the situation for me? Thanks!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

A friend of mine stayed there several years back, and I remember being very surprised at how small and old the rooms were. But that is my only personal experience. Who knows, maybe people just expect a lot when they hear "Hilton." You'll be OK, I'm sure.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

We just returned today from a wonderful weekend in Pittsburgh, and I am glad to report that the Hilton turned out to be just fine. Even though we used Priceline and got a greatly discounted rate we still got a lovely, clean room on the 21st floor with contemporary furnishings and very comfortable beds and, best of all, a great view of Point Park, Heinz Field, PNC Park and the three rivers. If I had to complain about something, the bathroom was pretty small with outdated fixtures, but it was clean and since we were only there for two nights it was good enough for us. The lobby was beautiful, the restaurant inside the hotel where we had breakfast was lovely with good food and excellent service, and overall we were very happy with this hotel. I would definitely stay there again, as long as I knew that I was getting a room like the one we had this weekend. The game at PNC Park was so much fun, and that is one nice ballpark! I was really impressed with how clean and safe downtown Pittsburgh was. I have walked around the downtown areas of Philadelphia, Atlanta, St. Louis, Nashville, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati and Washington, D.C. and none of them were as nice as Pittsburgh, in my opinion. Great town!!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

I'm so glad you had a good time-thanks for posting.

A lot of work has gone into making the downtown area more lively. It's not quite "there" yet. But I was thinking back on the many things I've done downtown this summer, and we have come a long way. Come back any time!

7. Re: Hilton to PNC Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 13, 2009