We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with upcoming trip planning

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with upcoming trip planning

My husband and I (age 60) have a three night trip to Pittsburgh planned for December 27-30. Would like to visit the Heinz history center, the Warhol museum, and the Frick museum. Hotel options are the Marriott Residence Inn on North Shore and the Omni Downtown. Will have car.

Any pros/cons for either location? Dining options in walking distance to each?

Also, is there a movie theater near either hotel?

Any ideas for evening activities other than holiday themed performances? Any good jazz or blues in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Unless you are coming in for a game OR the rates are significantly lower, I'd opt for the Omni William Penn. It's a very nice hotel, easily top 5. You will pay for parking at either one and I recall only the Hampton Inn downtown to offer free parking. Downtown has many dining options. Since you don't share what you like, I'll refer you to the restaurant link here - sort by neighborhood and cuisine type.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g53449-Pittsburg…

The closest movie theater is at Southside Works - very nearby:

http://www.southsideworks.com/

When I lived in Pittsburgh, my best entertainment resource was the Pittsburgh City Paper - here:

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

If you are not going to a game then I would agree the Omni William Penn is a MUCH better choice. Its a lovely historic hotel and there is a great cocktail bar in the basement called Speakeasy. Lots of great restaurants in Market Square and the cultural district on Penn Avenue, both areas are walking distance.

The Science Center is also great if you are interested, and they have an awesome model train display right now.

In Oakland, near the Frick, there are other wonderful museums. The Carnegie International is going on right now, a world famous exhibition for new modern artists. They also have a holiday tree display. Did you consider the Nationality Rooms at the Cathedral for Learning? What about Phipps Conservatory? Also beautiful at this time of year.

For the Warhol visit, consider going Friday evening. Its open until 10:00 PM and will have a cocktail bar. And its 1/2 price admission as well.

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

mamiesgirl-

Thanks for your response - and comments about the Omni and its proximity to Market Square and the restaurants there.

Also appreciate the information about other museums near the Frick. Will plan on the Warhol for Friday evening - thanks for the 1/2 price admission tip.

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

bk_11

I really appreciate the links you included in your response - they will certainly help with planning! Already found a jazz club/performance on the local Pittsburgh paper link. And good to know that there are dining options near the Omni. And although we will pay for parking, the garage across from the Omni appears to have decent daily rates - especially on the weekends. Again, thanks for your help.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

I would also highly recommend (as you have a car) making your way to Phipps Conservatory some evening for the Winter Light Garden and Flower Show ..... it is just stunning and a wonderful way to spend an evening:

…conservatory.org/exhibits-and-events/…

And another vote for the Omni... definitely.

WV
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Love the Wiiliam Penn! Omni is having a 72 hour sale so you might get a better rate. It's on their website. Sounds like a great trip!!

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Thanks for the postings/responses...great help!

Any sight ions for dining experiences within walking distance of the Omni? We like all cuisines...and particularly like finding local dining favorites. Suggestions?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Depends on what you are looking for...lots of options.

Cultural District (Penn Ave)

We LOVE Meat & Potatoes for small plates, unique, delicious food and cool cocktails. If you like beer, Sharp Edge is known for Belgium beer and good bar food. Seviche has interesting Latin inspired tapas, seviches and sushi. Olive or Twist is also supposed to be good, it's on our "to do" list.

Market Square

Our favorite is Wingharts, a dive kind of place with amazing burgers, sides and whiskey. Also Il Pizziaola, for wood fired Neapolitan style pie. We haven't tried Sienna Sulla Piazza but it was named best new restaurant by someone recently.

If you want more recs, it would be helpful to know your budget and preferences. Many of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh are just a short drive from downtown, to Lawrenceville or East End/Shadyside...like Spoon, Salt of the Eartth, Avenue B. These are more high end but not stuffy, white napkin kind of places. More chef-centric, handcrafted, original foodie joints. Reservations will be needed.

Hope this helps.

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
264 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Mammies girl

Thanks for the dining recs close to Omni.

Since we will have a car, options further out are a possibility as well.

We like all cuisines. For an excellent dining experience, budget is not a concern.

Coraopolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with upcoming trip planning

Then Kaya is a requirement. It's in the The Strip. If you will be around for Sunday brunch, don't miss it.