We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
538 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

Hi There,

My husband and I are going to be in Pittsburgh this weekend and are looking for a recommendation for an area where we could go to find some restaurant options for dinner on Sunday. We are looking for something nicer and local. I'd love to know if there is an area we can go to and have a variety of restaurants to choose from. I noticed a lot of places are listed as closed on Sundays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Donegal;PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

If you want to stay close to the city you could go to one on the restaurants on top of Mt. Washington which overlooks the city from the south. You will have an incredible view of the city from many of these restaurants.

…about.com/od/restaurants_mt_washington/Pitt…

Be sure to take a ride on one of the inclines ( Monongahela or Duquesne) too!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

If you are going to Mt Washington restaurants near Duquesne Incline take plenty of $$$. (Most locals consider these restaurants tourist traps-- so BEWARE!) I suggest the Shiloh Grill on Shiloh Street across from the Upper Deck of the Monongahela InclineThis is a good, inexpensive locals type restaurants, just half a block from the View (without paying for it). There are benches along Grandview Ave if you want to sit and soak it up before or after dinner.

Station Square, across the Smithfield St Bridge, has many restaurants-- both "Grand Concourse" and "Gandy Dancer Saloon" right in the historic Landmarks Building. Good view of the City from here and a walking trail along the tracks. You can walk here from town or take the "T" over, but not in the FREE Zone.

Southside and Southside Works have dozens of restaurants, mostly along E Carson St, from about 12th to 28th Sts. You could have an entertaining walk along here (safe and flat with sidewalks), and decide if there's anything you might enjoy. Hofsbrahaus at Southside Works is riverside, has live German music and a park right outside for strolling and biking. You would need a taxi or bus (lots of them-- 51C Carrick is the main one) from town if you are without a car.

Market Square is Downtown near PPG Plaza (@Market St and Forbes Ave). This area is full of restaurants, my favorite being the reasonably priced and friendly "Diamond Market Grill." In the Fairmont Hotel is one of Pittsburgh's best restaurants, a little pricey for dinner, but good value: "Habitat." Nearby is "A Taste of Dahntahn," on Liberty Ave near 5th Ave Place, a retro 50's place with live jazz on Sunday evenings (no cover, lots of fun, and starts early @6:30pm).

Near the Theatre District in town you will also find numerous restaurants. All along 6th St (NOT 6th Ave), between Ft Duquesne Blvd and Liberty Ave, you will find restaurants in all price levels, some very casual, but others topshelf. Try "Braddock's Brasserie" in the Renaissance Hotel," if you want something "nice."

Enjoy your trip to Pittsburgh!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

If you are staying downtown you may also like Meat and Potatoes, one of our favorites. More than the name, lots of small plates and a great cocktail program. Also open on Sunday is Sharp Edge Bistro, they have a ton of beers, especially Belgiums. I have never eaten in this location but enjoyed the food at the one near our home. These are both on Penn Ave. We also like Wingharts in Market Square for burgers. It's not fancy, but the vibe is cool and the food great. These should all be open on Sunday.

If you're not downtown, post back with your location and I'm sure you'll get more recs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

How is Primanti's??? would you recommend it?? how busy is it??

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

There's a wide range of opinion on Primanti's. I am not a fan, the concept (fries and cole slaw between the bread) is the best part, the taste of the food isn't so great. In my opinion. Plenty of people love it though and it is our most famous Pittsburgh food. The 18th Street location is the original and the most fun. Very busy at certain predictable times, but it is open 24 hours so you should be able to find a time when there isn't a big line.

6. Re: Good Restaurant Neighbourhoods for Sunday Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 29, 2014