We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

We just purchesed tickets to see the Iron and Wine concert in May at Carnegie Hall. We are 2 adults traveling from Ohio whom never been to Pitt before. We are looking for a place to say a couple nights (Sun & Mon). Any insight on anything close to Carnegie Hall or should we stay some where else and drive to the hall? Anything else we should check out or eat at while in Pitt?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

1. Pitt means the U. of Pittsburgh to us, not the City.

2. There are several Carnegie Halls here, so to avoid confusion you'll have to specify which Carnegie Hall you're talking about. I looked up the concert you mentioned, and it is at Carnegie Music Hall in Homestead. There is a shopping development near there called the Waterfront, which has three hotels, a huge movie theatre, many restaurants, clubs, and the big box stores. http://www.waterfrontpgh.com/

That is definitely the closest you'll be able to stay to the concert, but it lacks any sense of neighborhood or charm, since it is just a shopping development.

Other possibilities: Oakland or Shadyside, both less than five miles from the concert and both offering a variety of non-chain restaurants and stores.

Or even South Side Works area, which is another shopping development, but designed with a more urban feel than the Waterfront.

There have been many discussions in this forum about things to do, places to eat, etc. which you can search to get an idea of what is appealing to you, now that you have a better sense of the area you'll be in.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Edited: 11:21 am, February 24, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

Thanks for the insight...I think we are going to get into town early Sunday Afternoon. As of now we are looking at the Quality Inn University in the Oakland area...its seems nice and the price is nice. We are planning just to drive around and check out a few cool sites/things Sunday and Monday. Then go to our show Monday night...would like to cab it or just drive to it if needs be. I'd imagin that catching a cab after the show would not be a problem at all. We will checkout TA and all the forums for some ideas on places to check out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

opps just understood what you said about it being in Homestead...With that we will just look into staying at the Holiday Inn Express at the waterfront. But same questions concerning a cab ride to and from?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
36 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

hi...unfortunately, pittsburgh is not what i would consider a "cab" city..plus, considering how close in proximity you will be with your hotel to the Carnegie Music Hall, I would highly recommend driving or even walking. I would just hate to see you miss the show as cabs are not really driving around Homestead... even though Homestead is close to the city it is it's own municipality and a small community where cabs do not carouse regularly....cabs must be called and then they show up to your pickup location and are often late depending on how the cab "cherry picks"...did you also check to see if the holiday inn express has a shuttle service? sometimes they do...As far as places to eat in that area, you are very limited..of course the waterfront has alot of chains..i am not a big proponent of chains as you could eat at these back in Cinci, but if you want to stay in that area, I would do Bravo or Mitchell's Fish Market at the Waterfront. If you dont mind driving to eat, then your choices increase alot..I hope you enjoy your concert.. the concert hall is in the Carnegie library.. this building is very historic and is very rich in Pittsburgh steel history. you should highly enjoy it!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

A 30 min walk would be actually nice before and after the show...is the area walkable and is it safe to do so?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
36 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

it is very walk able and I would say about a 15/20 minute walk each way...this area does have some crime challenges as it is in an urban environment, but no more than the area you come from...i would feel totally safe walking by myself...you would be walking on the busy main st (8th st) most of the time and then cut up a busy side street for the library....you are very close by staying at the waterfront! i know many people from homestead walk to the waterfront and it is very pedestrian friendly...

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

There are some non-chain food options nearby in Homestead--Smoke BBQ Taqueria is a delicious choice on 8th Avenue; Blue Dust is a bar right around the corner which has tasty bar food. Dukes is a bar a few blocks down which my daughter reports has very good wings.

There is also a vegetarian place called Tin Front Cafe which I have not had good experience with, but I have some friends who like it.

8. Re: Carnegie Music Hall - Concert in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014