We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
827 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Here is the plan...

We would like to see a Pirate game and spend the night.

I do not want to spend $200 a night Plus Parking...

My ideal hotel should be...

About $100 a night for two.

Have a Free Continental Breakfast.

Have Free Parking.

Be directly on a public transportation route, with no more than one or two changes to get to PNC Park.

Does this Hotel exist?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Try the Hampton Inn and Suites on Smallman St in the Strip District. It is within walking or "T" distance to PNC Park, and offers both FREE Breakfast and Parking. You won't get it for $100/night, but could be under $150, depending on your dates.

You could also try Hotwire. If you specify a 4Star Hotel Downtown, this usually renders the William Penn or Doubletree @close to $100. They are both walkable and near the "T," but don't have FREE Breakfast or FREE Parking.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

I agree with evangeline57 about going for a discount Hotel provider like Hotwire or Priceline ( preferably the former ) and have had 3.5 & 4* hotels off Hotwire for under $100..

Parking in most of 3.5 or 4* hotels is usually $20-25 per day at most,though some like Hampton Inn are free ( I'm staying there in May for 7 nights ) and the "T" Train was free and stops at PNC Park when I was over 3 times last year..

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
827 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Thanks - Please keep the suggestions coming!

I am not a fan of Hotwire or Priceline.

I NEED to plan and know where I am staying before purchasing...

That is just the way I am wired....

But, Thank You for your thoughts and suggestions.

I will look into that Hampton Inn...It must near Parmanti's(bad spelling!)

PS - Is the "O" in Oakland still open?

I think it was on 5th or Forbes....

I also used to drink in either a VFW or an American Legion in the same area back in the early 80's.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Another thought might be the Best Western Parkway Center. They may be close to your price range, though you are really low for hotel rooms in the area now except for some true dives. That hotel is clean and well run, though very simple, and I believe they still have a shuttle which can at least get you downtown for a game and you can walk from there.

The "O" is still there, and hasn't been cleaned since you were last there....

If you think you have found a cheap hotel, check back here as some of the cheap ones are REALLY bad.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

On the North Shore, close to PNC Park, is a B&B called "Parador." This is a nice place, if a little off-the-beaten-path, with an Island sort of vibe. Not knowing when you plan to be here, I checked several dates in April when the Pirates are in town, and they currently have availabilty then with rates around $150/night including FREE Parking and Breakfast.

Same is true of "The Priory," at the other end of the North Side, Around $150/night with Breakfast and Parking included. They are also in a slightly out-of-the-way zone, but they do have a FREE shuttle van which will drive you anyplace you want to go in the Downtown area. This place is more of a Boutique Hotel than a B&B. Generally, it gets raves and the only real drawback is the neighborhood. Check them both out and see what you think.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

In the Greentree area there is also a Hamton Inn on Mansfield Avenue that fits the free parking/breakfast deal. It's on a bus route, but I don't know exactly where they stop on that road.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

I know you're not a fan of PL or HW, but my strategy is to initially make a reservation that can be cancelled (like 4pm or 6pm day of arrival), and then as the time gets closer to explore other options. This way I always have a my back-up hotel in place if I do not win with the bid I want.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
632 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

What about the Crowne Plaza on Fort Couch Rd. in Bethel Park? Ample free parkiing, and It runs approx. $120/night before coupons. Located right across from the mall where there is a major trolley stop which will take you directly to the North Side..very convenient to the ball park. Their phone is 412-833-5300.

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
827 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

Thank You All For Your Suggestions!

I selected the Hampton Inn on Smallman St in "The Strip".

Using a code I found on disboards.com I got it for $159 plus taxes.

Free parking and breakfast.

Now if I can just figure out how to use the public transportation site we will be in good shape...:)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does My Hotel Exist? Your Suggestions Please...

I think you'll be happy with this choice. Location is excellent and you're very close to some of the most popular areas. If you have questions about Public Transportation, let us know. . . .