We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Mt. Washington

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Mt. Washington

Hi,

First time visitor to Pittsburgh and we're planning to visit the Mt. Washington area. We would consider either driving up to Grandview Ave. or take the Duquesne Incline. Would like to know if it is safe to visit at night or after sunset (sorry if that sounds like a silly question) and is it easy to find parking at that time if we were to drive up to Grandview Ave? Would be this Saturday and we'll be driving out from the airport area.

Thanks in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

I was at Mt Washington, near the Mon Incline just about an hour ago (ard 10.45pm). We took a drive up and found empty parking spots on Grandview Ave. The viewing areas were well lit and there were a handful of visitors around. There are apartments along Grandview Ave so it's not a deserted stretch of road in case you were wondering.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

Thanks for the reply. Did you visit the "Point of View Park"? Based on Google street view, that looks like a good spot to take a few pictures.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

If you want to ride the Duq Incline up to Mt Washington, their parking lot on W Carson St (at the bottom station) is free. It will cost you about $2.25 each way per person to ride the Incline, and there is a small museum onsite.

The "Point of View" Park, at Sweetbriar St & Grandview Ave, is just a couple of short blocks, very easy walking, away. This park was previously known (unofficially) as "Photography Park," so YES, it is an excellent place to take pictures. The entire Grandview Promenade area is safe, and usually busy on fair evenings, provided you use good common sense, and pay attention to some who may be in the area looking for tourists who are distracted by the view.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

The "Point of View" park is a must when visiting Pittsburgh. It has the prettiest view of any city on the east coast. We have shown people our pictures that we took there and our friends do not believe how beautiful the view is.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

I wanted to add one thing: Resist the temptation to dine at the Duq Incline end of Grandview Ave. While you will find here several establishments offering a great view of the city with your meal, most locals consider them to be over-priced tourist traps. In some cases the food is quite good, but only for very special occasions, or if money is no object.

Suggest instead that you go back down to the parking lot on the Incline, and then drive over to Station Square (only a minute up the road), where you can park for a nominal fee and find numerous reasonably priced restaurants right by the riverside. There is plenty of opportunity between Mt Washington and Station Square to take in the view w/o paying a fortune for the experience.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

Thank you everyone for your replies, you've been a great help.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

I'm particularly interested in the area around PNC ballpark along the northshore trail - is that safe late at night for photography? Like around 10pm to midnight or so?

And early morning, say around sunrise?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

I've been along the Northshore Trail at dusk and felt safe. Not sure about lighting after true darkness falls. I doubt if the police would recommend late night photography to out-of-town visitors.

Remember this is an urban neighborhood, secluded by the river on one side and bushes and trees on the other, in order to make the trail prettier. You could encounter some benign homeless people, or even a criminal element in any park, in any city at night. My suggestionwould be to avoid the area late night unless you have substantial company (not just your girlfriend).

Sunrise should be fine.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

PS- Re-read your question!

The Northshore in the immediate area right around PNC Park, across from Downtown and Point Park, is well lit and busy until late at night. You should have no problems there, just remain conscious of your surroundings as you would in any major city.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Mt. Washington

Thanks evangeline - to clarify, when you say 'until late at night' ... how late are you talking? My guess is I should be done by 11pm-ish.